CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 10/13/2018, 12:35 PM   #61
Mosesatm

If the fan is making noises and grinding it will draw a lot more power than it would normally, heating up its feed wire.

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2018, 12:38 PM   #62
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
+1

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2018, 11:45 PM   #63
Batgirl89

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
If the fan is making noises and grinding it will draw a lot more power than it would normally, heating up its feed wire.
ok. Thank you Arlie and Neil. I should tear into that blower motor.

Also, I don't like how the electric choke is hooked up, spliced into blk/red stripe wire (140, I think)
where would the correct connection be for the edelbrock electric choke

the car has an occasional miss, it seems like an electrical miss, to me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0-1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	22776   Click image for larger version

Name:	0-2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	22777  

Last edited by Batgirl89; 10/14/2018 at 12:09 AM..
Batgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2018, 09:08 AM   #64
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
That wire is the keyed power source to the back up lights. You need to make sure they got the wire that is hot and not the return wire from the neutral lockout/backup switch on the tranny, when the key is in the run position. Simple check to see if the wire is hot when you turn the ignition switch to the run position and check for power on and off when turning the key.

I use that wire almost exclusively for an electric choke. If you wish you can go all the way to the ignition switch and stack another wire on its hot lug. I have never had a problem using that wire. Not fond of the "u-haul trailer" connector they used. I solder a connection it for best contact.

Fords of the 60's era did not use electric chokes and there are few good points to get a key on, power, source. By the way, this wire is also hot in the accessory position. So if you use the accessory to listen to the radio, you will start the choke sequence. Not many people do that in these old cars.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2018, 11:40 AM   #65
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl89 View Post
ok. Thank you Arlie and Neil. I should tear into that blower motor.

Also, I don't like how the electric choke is hooked up, spliced into blk/red stripe wire (140, I think)
where would the correct connection be for the edelbrock electric choke

From past posts, it seems that you bought (and installed?) the Pertronix relay to power the Pertronix coil and ignitor. If so, you can use the same wire that runs from the relay to the coil to hook to the electric choke (that's what I do). This wire will only be "hot" during "run" and not during "accessory". That way you do not get a current draw from the choke when just sitting in the car listening to the radio with the key in the "accessory" position (per what Rob noted about wire #140)

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2018, 12:17 PM   #66
Batgirl89

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
That wire is the keyed power source to the back up lights. You need to make sure they got the wire that is hot and not the return wire from the neutral lockout/backup switch on the tranny, when the key is in the run position. Simple check to see if the wire is hot when you turn the ignition switch to the run position and check for power on and off when turning the key.

I use that wire almost exclusively for an electric choke. If you wish you can go all the way to the ignition switch and stack another wire on its hot lug. I have never had a problem using that wire. Not fond of the "u-haul trailer" connector they used. I solder a connection it for best contact.

Fords of the 60's era did not use electric chokes and there are few good points to get a key on, power, source. By the way, this wire is also hot in the accessory position. So if you use the accessory to listen to the radio, you will start the choke sequence. Not many people do that in these old cars.

Rob
Rob, thank you. I will check it and if its correct, and if it is, keep it for now.
James, thank you for the option!
Old 10/18/2018, 04:10 PM   #67
Batgirl89

My Garage
my blower motor doesn't have the hose, its missing

any advice on getting the fan out? do I have to take my console out?
Old 10/19/2018, 01:27 PM   #68
Mosesatm

If I remember correctly you can't get to all the blower screws without loosening or removing the housing, and to get there you'll need to remove the console

Old 10/19/2018, 10:26 PM   #69
Batgirl89

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
If I remember correctly you can't get to all the blower screws without loosening or removing the housing, and to get there you'll need to remove the console
Thank you Arlie
Old 10/22/2018, 08:50 AM   #70
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgirl89 View Post
Question, this is for your C code 289 GT/CS? Check your firing order if your engine has ever been rebuilt with new cam.

Most all new small block Ford cams use the 351W firing order. Do not use the firing order imprinted on your stock cast iron intake manifold.

Last edited by CougarCJ; 10/22/2018 at 12:25 PM..

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2018, 10:59 AM   #71
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Scott,
I am a bit confused. All 289's used the 15426378 firing order stamped on the intake. So did 302's until the advent of the 302 roller cam shaft motor in the mid 80's. Then the 302 switched to the 351 Windsor firing order.

This is to the best of my knowledge. One does need to be careful when selecting a cam these days as some of the small block ford cams do use a Windsor order.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2018, 12:23 PM   #72
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
Scott,
I am a bit confused. All 289's used the 15426378 firing order stamped on the intake. So did 302's until the advent of the 302 roller cam shaft motor in the mid 80's. Then the 302 switched to the 351 Windsor firing order.

This is to the best of my knowledge. One does need to be careful when selecting a cam these days as some of the small block ford cams do use a Windsor order.

Rob
My mistake, was editing too many times.

Most of the Ford small block cams that are sold new, use the more modern 351W firing order.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2018, 04:02 PM   #73
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarCJ View Post
My mistake, was editing too many times.

Most of the Ford small block cams that are sold new, use the more modern 351W firing order.
Correct, it's a better firing order for smoothness and cross-firing. But putting one in an old Windsor can really ruin an old fart's day trying to get the thing to run properly using the old firing order.

Then there are the engine builders who like to use an old 302 grind cam in 351s for some obscure reason. That is also frustrating if you're not aware of it.

Ask Bill and I how we know!!! We spent hours trying to figure it out until we finally called the builder and asked him. Yep, he used a 302 cam in a 351!!!

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions