• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need Help, Is it worth it?

ivygtp

I have located a CS/GT sitting in a garage for the last 5 years or so. It is black, looks real good, no rust, 55000 miles. The down side is that it is a 6 cyl. with 3 speed man. The owner died, leaving it to his wife. She wants $8500. If it was a V8, I would have bought it, no questions asked. But is it priced right for a 6 cyl.?
Thanks for any input!

BrandonB

The only way I would buy it for that much is if it were numbers matching. just my $0.02

rjw

Take a look at the "Price Guide" on the left side bar on this website. Straight Six did some analysis and I think it is a good barometer of "general" value. Obviously, mileage, options, etc. as well as the overall condition can negatively or positively alter those base values. He has accounted for most of these value altering characteristics (i.e., a "deduct" for a six cylinder) and the price guide should be a good starting point in your pricing evaluation of the car you are looking at.
Richard

P

PNewitt

They made something like less than 200 six-cylinder GT/CS (sorry, it's not CS/GT) cars. The rarity of the 6 cyl may or may not have any bearing on collectibility. It's a personal thing.

You could upgrade the engine and brakes, but the marketing folks at Ford were into looks as a selling point for this car--not so much performance. Remember the tag line? "Looks like a Shelby GT".

If this car is truly black, it's also rare from that point. Black and beige were the rarest colors for '68 (Only know of one Beige CS, but that Vegas sold car is in question) I've never seen or heard of a 6 cyl in black--ever.

THese cars won't be around forever--get them while you can.

Just my two bits,

Paul.

68gt390

At that price, she's well within the price range for the car. Listings I've seen show current prices just for an average six cylinder around the $10,000 mark or higher. If the car is in good shape plus it has low miles myself six or V-8, it would be sitting in my garage. If all the original items say fog lights, stripping, good interior, radio etc are still there I'd go for it. As mentioned earlier if it's a V-8 you want you can always put one in and keep the six to put back if you ever sell the car. But, your the buyer and it's what you think of the car that matters. Good luck with your decision.

Don ;D 1968 GT 390 coupe and 68 GT/CS 390

classicsguy

First thing I will do is get a Marti Report on the car, if it verifies that this is a true GT/CS and numbers match I will then make her an offer for the car in the 7K-7.5K. 6 CIL cars are worth less money than their 8 cil counterparts but if its a true GT/CS it might be worth for its rarity.
One thing is for sure a 6cil car is not a true GT. You will have to get at least a J code car for it to be a true GT.
Good luck and keep us posted.

mach1baby390

Just put this in perspective, rarity is in the eye of the beholder, and there within lies what do you think the car is worth not the seller. If you really wanted it you may pay up to whatever you want, just remember don't think on the emotion of what you can get out of it. A 6 cyl car will probably not command the price of any V8 car in the same condition, just facts of life. You should buy because its worth something to you and you plan to keep it. Most of us CS owners are long term keepers and we laughingly of course think our cars are worth more than the average Joe ;D but in the real world the choice is solely yours, but a car that is need of mild restoration you need to consider the costs involved, if I were to make an offer I would get your books out to present to the owner and start low and have a price that you are not going to more than. Just a thought

OP
OP
I

ivygtp

Wow, great replies! Thanks to all. Here is an update. The man that had the CS also had a 68 J code fastback that was in awesome condition. When he died years ago, both sat in this same garage about an hour from where I live. I know some of you are going to groan, but that's the one I bought, also for $8500. Both were advertised for $9500, the widow did take $8500 when I showed her the cash and said the CS she would sell for $8500 but no less, even when presented with the info I received here. I have never seen a CS in person before this one, and this one is a very nice car that looks like it was possibly restored. Both cars have not been registered to drive since 1985, both still have the 85 license plates on them and some real old poly tires (also have never seen those, pretty cool). I am going to wait a week or so, then contact her again. I left the damn paper with the vin and door tag info in her garage when I left with the fastback so I don't know if the paint is correct. I do remember seeing 65B, if that means anything. For what it's worth, on looks alone it is one awesome car. Just not impressed with the 6 cyl when some 8 cyls are still out there for sale.

classicsguy

Congratulations on your purchase on the fastback! You got a great price, Fastbacks are getting more expensive.
65B means that is a 2 door coupe witha DELUXE interior, very rare and in a GT/CS much more. You should post that car in the classifieds section of this forum for all that might be interested. Tell owner that you will advertise here and will give his or her phone number.
Congratulations again!

Perkchiro

I wonder sometimes if I'm just crazy about my CS, then I watch the Barrett-Jackson auction and see this guy plunk down 175K for a 67 shelby gt 500. He's the crazy one, right? On the other hand, the value of these old cars are steadily increasing according to my observations. I fully expect the value all California Specials to rise too. Since only about 2000 GS's remain, I'd say an investment in a numbers matching 6 cyl. CS would be a good one. That's my 2 cents. Good luck and congrats on the fastback.

Steve :)

68gt390

That's a great buy on the "J" code fastback. KAR here in Ohio recently sold a "J" code fastback, GT Optioned, C-4 auto restored for well over $24,000.00. At a purchase price of only $8,500.00 you've got some mad money left. Good luck with the car and enjoy it.

Don ;D ;D

classicsguy

You are right 68GT390 I remember that car from KAR it was Meadowlark yellow and a J code Gt. The price was between $22K-24K and sold pretty quick. I have purchased 3 Mustangs from them and always watch their website. They also had before a 1968GT/CS also J code TRUE factory GT and Meadowlark yellow and sold for 19K I think.
You had a great purchase and the black GT/CS looks very tempting....

OP
OP
I

ivygtp

Unfortunatly this isn't a GT, but still very nice. I am going back tomorrow night to see if the price can be whittled down any more on the CS (and to get the vin and door tag info). I am still thinking of buying it. I am also taking my digital camera along.

mca

As most know, six cylinder GT/CS cars are very rare to begin with, and considering that most were parted or engine swapped because of just being a six, the number of existing matching number six cylinder cars makes the car in the extremely rare category. Deluxe interior is a bonus, add an original raven black car, it might be the rarest matching number six cylinder in existence. Have you seen gas prices lately? If you don't want this car, let me know, I will give her her price, I've been looking for one, and have a complete 1968 six cylinder smog system waiting to go on one (if it is missing). If you decide to buy it, still let me know, if you know who buys it, let me know, as I would like to keep tabs on this car. Anybody who would restomod or engine swap this car would be making a very big mistake.

OP
OP
I

ivygtp

Went there last night, got the Vin#. 8R01T156240. It is not the deluxe interior, it is 65A code (darn!). Anyway, the door tag looked funny, like it was missing a few codes, but I have never seen one for a CS or a 6 cyl. before. Here is what I could read: 65A A 2D 05D 61. When I put these and the Vin into the decoder, I was unable to get the interior color (it is red) or exterior. I did get some nice pics and will put up a link. The price did not go down, actually, she now wants a little more (go figure) but I am still contemplating buying it.

68sunlitgold

ivygtp,
All the info is there, except for the axle and transmission, this is the break-down:

model year: 1968
built at: San Jose (Milpitas, CA)
bodystyle: Hardtop
engine: 200 CID - 1V
consecutive #: 156240
body series: Hardtop - standard-trim bucket seats
scheduled assy.: April 05, 1968
exterior color: "Raven Black"
interior trim: Dark Red crinkle vinyl w/ "kiwi"-pattern vinyl inserts
sales office (DSO): Dallas, TX ("DP")
axle ratio: 2.79:1 "conventional"
transmission: 3-spd. manual

I guessed for the axle ratio but I think that is close. Also a rarity is the Dallas DSO, I believe only 8 or 9 are from there, another plus!!

Looks like a nice combo or black exterior and red interior. I agree with alot here that it would be a very nice addition to any collection.

Doug

OP
OP
I

ivygtp

Here is a link to the pictures I took Wed. night. Seller is messing with me a little. Told me $8500, but when I offered it she said she will let me know. I am not going any higher. Opinions? Is it legit? This is the only one I have seen, looks real nice but the 6 cyl. is killing me.
Thanks again for all the input!

OP
OP
I

ivygtp

Here is a link to the pictures I took Wed. night. Seller is messing with me a little. Told me $8500, but when I offered it she said she will let me know. I am not going any higher. Opinions? Is it legit? This is the only one I have seen, looks real nice but the 6 cyl. is killing me.
Thanks again for all the input!
http://www.msnusers.com/CaliSpecial/shoebox.msnw

68sunlitgold

now looking at the door tag this is the break down:

model year: 1968
built at: San Jose (Milpitas, CA)
bodystyle: Hardtop
engine: 200 CID - 1V
consecutive #: 156240
body series: Hardtop - standard-trim bucket seats
scheduled assy.: April 05, 1968
exterior color: "Raven Black"
interior trim: Dark Red crinkle vinyl w/ "kiwi"-pattern vinyl inserts
sales office (DSO): Phoenix, AZ
axle ratio: 3.20:1 "conventional"
transmission: 3-spd. manual

I think the car looks great...is that the fastback with its nose sticking out of the door opening?
Doug

OP
OP
I

ivygtp

Good eye Doug, that is the fastback poking out. Had to use floor jacks to move it over, a real old time garage, only one door, two stalls. Guess which side the fastback was on.......