• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What Class for Your GT/CS

robert campbell

Saw a post in another thread as to where 1968 GT/CS cars should be placed in a car show. The show season is almost here. Please take the below as one persons thoughts.

A friend of mine, Woody Jacobson, and I founded the Kitsap Mustang Club in the mid 1980’s. Club centers in Bremerton, Washington. During the evolution of the club, Woody and I saw some obvious patterns emerging in how voting went for trophy’s. We sponsored one show a year and it was always “participant choice”. We attended a few other shows where it was people’s choice and anyone viewing could vote. Saw obvious ballot stuffing going on. YUK! Makes me think of a Joseph Stalin quote. “It is not important who votes, it is important who counts the votes”. I digress…

In order to make voting more fair, we saw two areas that we felt needed attention. One was heavily modified or custom Mustangs competing in their class “year” and GT/CS cars competing in the 1968 coupe class. Plain cars of equal quality always lost to a car with scoops, spoilers, modified engine compartments, tires and wheels and so on. We decided to do something about that.

The biggest challenge was “modified” cars. Mustang’s Northwest came up with a points system when you registered your car. Add points for non-stock items. If you had too many points, you were modified. It was confusing to say the least. And many a car was registered incorrectly or the owner just ignored the modifications. I showed up with my 1967 Fastback in the 1980’s and they offered me the 1967 Fastback class. I declined and went modified.

Woody and I took the owner out of the equation and registered the cars the day of the show. Just an engine compartment dress up kit or aftermarket wheels did not land you in the modified class. You had to have a combination of modifications that gave you a decided edge over a basic stock car. If you had a couple mods, and wanted in the modified class, you were allowed. We opened the hood and trunk of every car, and took a hard look at the interior.

Then the GT/CS cars. We beat this “horse” silly. If you do something to GT/CS and HCS cars then what about other special additions? Do you do something with Mach I cars? We were an “all years” Mustang club, so what about Saleen’s? In our area we had a bunch of nice GT/CS cars.

Woody and I decided to move the GT/CS cars into the Boss/Shelby class. By the way, this car show would attract about 200 cars then. Usually about 15 Boss/Shelby cars of high quality. So the day of the show arrived and we started placing the cars. Went very easy with little questions. Made a decision on a 1970 Boss 302 with Webers and custom wheels. Gave him a choice of modified or Boss class. He went modified.

Then an owner from Canada drove in with beautiflly restored candy apple red, with black stripes, no vinyl top GT/CS. Very stock. We told him that he would be placed in the “new” Boss/Shelby/GT/CS class. This is one beautiful GT/CS!!

He was not very happy!! It was stated in the flyer, but he did not notice. He read Woody and I up one side and down the other. “I drove all the way from Canada”!!! “Had I known, I would not have come”!! Not very pleasant, but we held our ground. Off he went “steaming” from both ears and parked with the Shelby’s and Boss cars.

Long story short, he won participants choice for 1st place in the class. Defeated 5 Shelby’s and 7 Boss cars. He would have taken 2nd, but a freshly restored,“enclosed-trailered”, with snap on tire covers to ensure that even the tread does not touch the ground, 1969 Boss 429 was best of show. So the GT/CS car got 1st place in the Boss/ShelbyGT/CS class. We did not allow multiple trophies.

After the show the GT/CS owner, who I personally know has numerous trophies, came up and apologized and told us this trophy meant more to him than any other he has received. Off he went with a smile that you would not believe. Hmmmm.

Anyway, we continued that practice for many years after. I am now distant from the club. My son was born in 1990 and he is way more fun that standing in a parking lot.

I have watched with great humor over the years, the fierce competition for 10-dollar trophies. I attend very few shows and just go to cruise nights and drive my cars. They are nice, but the GT/CS is not a show worthy car. I kinda like that. The 1967 Fastback is so highly modified that it did well with the modified cars back in the day.

GT/CS cars in similar condition compete well with the Shelby’s and the Boss cars!! They overwhelm the 1968 coupe class. Tell the car club they should let you compete with the Shelby/Boss cars. I bet that would tickle a few of you to take a trophy in that class!! I know of an original owner Cobra Jet car on this site that would put up some serious smack in that class!! Or an S or J code with the proper cam and exhaust sound. Nothing like showing up just a bit late so all the participants get to “hear” your car!! Another way to swing a few votes your way! By the way the red GT/CS was not very loud, just pristine!!

My thoughts over the decades of owning these cars. Your thoughts?

Rob

mechanicalguy48

I am in your area Robert and I go to quite a few shows. I dont really care that much about trophies it doesnt mean much. I think as far as mustangs go they should all be in their year and body designation, 66 hardtop, fastbacks etc. If one has scoops and big motor , so what. Almost all mustangs are modified now even if you dont see it. I have a coupe that is very stock but I think it compares favorably with another coupe that has solid chrome and wide tires, if he wins, good for him, its all about what you personally like. A lot of the car shows try to give out as many trophy's as possible and I understand that because for the newcomer it provides a little entertainment and reward. I think most guys who have been working on their cars for years come to talk to the other people and meet new friends and just tell stories about what we did over the winter. Putting too much emphasis on trophies is like going to a kids football game and yelling at the refs,,, your missing the point if you do that. I think this hobby is so much fun and the people in it are so knowledgeable and wonderful to talk to. I have a few trophies and I line them up, I cant lie, but its not what gets me out welding the inner fender on these cold mornings. I will take my GTCS to a few shows this year, and I dont really care what class they put me in, these are rare and beautiful cars and I think people love to see them. I have just as much fun at the Hotrod shows as I do at the "Mustang" shows so if they want to put me in modified or shelby, hey I dont care I am here to bs anyway. lol

Midnight Special

...I couldn't agree more.
Get a few friends together, have coffee, parade to the event while taking pictures; park; polish; peruse.... then "convoy" home, lite the grille and party! I've won a couple of awards, but couldn't tell you why. And although we like to hold our heads high, we don't associate with anyone who holds their noses higher! I also know first-hand what it takes to organize a large event and would never think of showing up and demanding conditions where I'd only be happy if I won a trophy (as in Rob's experience). Registered or not, I am their guest and wherever they see fit to put me is fine with me. We just let the cars do the talkin', 'cuz we'd rather be out walkin'....with premium parkin' and no time for squawkin':)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The GT/CS cars never get respect from the Shelby/Boss guys. I will have to tell you it tickled me to death to see the GT/CS win that year!

Rob

case12

The GT/CS cars never get respect from the Shelby/Boss guys. I will have to tell you it tickled me to death to see the GT/CS win that year!

Rob

Around here, the Shelby guys drool over my GT/CS because it is so unique and rare (with Shelby history) - and I know mine cost a lot less than theirs. Casey

Midnight Special

Around here, the Shelby guys drool over my GT/CS because it is so unique and rare (with Shelby history) - and I know mine cost a lot less than theirs. Casey

...Casey, the GT/CS is the best known "unknown" car there is! That's what makes them so much fun to drive. Everybody knows Shelbys, Camaros, Chevelles...., but what the hell is this? Many times at car shows - we'll sit and listen to their speculation and guessing only to step in and hand them an "Arlie card" and answer a few questions. This is great fun and the folks always walk away pleased :)

TraveledGTCS

There are a few shows which have separate catagories for the California Specials - both stock and modified. I have been to various shows and have been placed in various classes - 68 Coupe, Boss/Sheby, Calif Spec, and modified - even though at the time I was stock. I'm still stock but at the time I had added a couple items which put me in modified per the classing at the show, which subsequently I removed. I enjoy the trips to the shows and the friendships there - that's what it is all about. If one wins - that's just icing on the cake.

aemoo28

"It's just a modified GT." ( I don't THINK so.)

I remember that's what I was told last year at a club meeting. I got my own CS parking lot at the big show, but all in all, we get no respect!