• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

California Special - Type of Font Used

CJ

Does anyone know what type of font was used for the California Special script?

Thanks

P

PNewitt

The chrome side script really isnn't a "font" as such, but was hand lettered by the company that made the emblems: ACSCO Products of Burbank, CA. ACSCO made the Cobra roadster emblems, Shelby emblems, and even the '67 hood cables, '68 Shelby and GT/CS hood pins, and '69-'70 Shelby Hood pins (also used on the '70 Hurst Olds). I have a blueprint of the CS side script, and a copy of it appeared in my first (1988) book.

Ford didn't like the idea of script, but they relented, and in doing so only gave ACSCO 2 weeks to hand make sets for the prototype cars for the Feb 15th unveiling. You see....Ford wanted a stripe around the tail of the GT/CS like the "Super Bee"( that also came out in the spring of '68). The Calif . Ford dealers didn't like that, and said no script--no car. So, Ford let then have the script.

The stripe "cutout" GT/CS lettering isn't a font either--as that was hand lettered by Shelby Automotive in Michigan. The closest font used could be one called "Claredon".

Since I'm also a graphic artist, I've had a side interest in what they used.

Just some FYI for ya.

Paul.

OP
OP
CJ

CJ

Thanks Paul for the information.

Jschoony

The chrome side script really isnn't a "font" as such, but was hand lettered by the company that made the emblems: ACSCO Products of Burbank, CA. ACSCO made the Cobra roadster emblems, Shelby emblems, and even the '67 hood cables, '68 Shelby and GT/CS hood pins, and '69-'70 Shelby Hood pins (also used on the '70 Hurst Olds). I have a blueprint of the CS side script, and a copy of it appeared in my first (1988) book.

Ford didn't like the idea of script, but they relented, and in doing so only gave ACSCO 2 weeks to hand make sets for the prototype cars for the Feb 15th unveiling. You see....Ford wanted a stripe around the tail of the GT/CS like the "Super Bee"( that also came out in the spring of '68). The Calif . Ford dealers didn't like that, and said no script--no car. So, Ford let then have the script.

The stripe "cutout" GT/CS lettering isn't a font either--as that was hand lettered by Shelby Automotive in Michigan. The closest font used could be one called "Claredon".

Since I'm also a graphic artist, I've had a side interest in what they used.

Just some FYI for ya.

Paul.
Paul I read an article once I think it was Mustang Monthly about the several California Special blueprint that were found. I know there are parts of these in your book but is there any place you know of to get full copies of the different blueprints? I think they would make for some nice shop/ garage art.

Thanks Jason

Mosesatm

I know who has the blueprints. I'll see if I can get them. Hopefully the scripts are in the stack.

Jschoony

Thank You Sir. If someone could actually get the blueprints for the script and say the twist locks and see how many member would be interested in a good quality copy. Current owner may be able to make a few bucks.

Jschoony

I know who has the blueprints. I'll see if I can get them. Hopefully the scripts are in the stack.
Or if the owner one day decides that they would like to sell them I would be very interested in them.

Mosesatm

Robinette is going to look for them when she gets back from vacation.

Jschoony

Any update on if she has the script blueprints and would be willing let a copy be made or even sell the originals?

Mosesatm

Not yet. She doesn’t know where to look for them. Probably need to go another route.