• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Would like advice

Glen Yates

I am thinking about buying a GT/CS but I am in Florida and the car is in Illinois. I have decoded the VIN and it does appear to be a real CS. Using the Registry form from this site enabled me to ask a lot of questions on the telephone and determine it is very likely real.

The car has been painted (original red, still red, the interior redone (was parchment, is now white).

The seller is asking $20,000.00. Before I get an appraisal done on the car, does this price seem to be in line?

No paper work (built sheet, owner manual, etc) Marchal lights; attached reflector; styled steel caps w/ plain center; Vinyl top (White); all mechanical options ("J" code 302); dual exhaust, heavy sway bar, gt rear valance: AM radio; clock; convenience lights; delux wheel; interior decor group; air; tinted windows windshield

Sorry about the length, but wanted to get your ideas before I drop $400.00 for an appraisal.

Also, anyone recommend an appraisor?

Thanks for your help, suggestions and ideas.

Talan423

glen- seems a little bit high to me for 302. have you checked out the price guide on this site? it is a couple of years old but shouldn't be too far off. if you do decide to buy this car, i would suggest sending for the marti report (also found on this site) to confirm it is a true california special. we have all seen many fakes (clones) throughout the years.
a beautiful blue gt/cs with a 289 just sold on ebay for $14,100. have you asked the seller to budge any on the price yet?

good luck
tom

carvensno

I agree with talan, get a marti report, it will tell you everything about the mustang, if it's a true GT/CS and if it has the GT package, all of the options that are on the car. Getting a marti report is cheaper than have it appraise, no use of having the car appraised if it not even a true CS, at least you can spend a little money to find the facts out about the car, then worry about the price and value!

Thats my thoughts on this tho, good luck glen!!! ;D

OP
OP
G

Glen Yates

[quote author=1 GT/CS link=board=1;threadid=944;start=0#msg5209 date=1085777884]
I agree with talan, get a marti report, it will tell you everything about the mustang, if it's a true GT/CS and if it has the GT package, all of the options that are on the car. Getting a marti report is cheaper than have it appraise, no use of having the car appraised if it not even a true CS, at least you can spend a little money to find the facts out about the car, then worry about the price and value!

Thats my thoughts on this tho, good luck glen!!! ;D
[/quote]

I would like to thank both of you for your responses. I am requesitng a Marti report. Did check the price guide and , going strictly by what seeler says, and what I can see in pictures, seems car would rate almost excellent, so somewhere around $19,000. I know better than to rely on seller, so I am seeking more information, which could include hiring an appraiser.

Once I get the Marti report, if I decide to pursue it, then I will hire an appraisor, any recommendations?

Thanks,

Glen

murf104

Glen: I work on a contract basis for an appraisal company in Illinois. Should you get to that stage of your purchase email me and I will provide you with a link to the office. I do not do value appraisals on antique autos so this is not a sales call, just a hand if you need someone to check out a vehicle. You did not say what part of the state your possible purchase was in, but let me know and if someone from our office can help I will put you in contact with them. Murf

68gt390

Glen;
I would have to agree with the other's, getting a Marti Report is the best thing. I bought my GT/CS 390, 4 speed back in Feb of this year out in Seattle and obtained a Marti Report by fax because of the time frame plus I didn't want the car to get away. The appraisel fee sounds high to me. NADA lists a basic 302 in average condition for $14,520 and High value at $26,290. These cars are going up in value everyday. Options, body condition, under carriage etc. all play into the picture. After evaluating the car in person I offered the dealer $16,500 and they took it. I got lucky on the purchase price on my car. Car is in above average condition. Pictures are listed in the gallery on the first page. Body work was completed in 97 by previous owner and paint and exterior chrome are excellent. The only things I'm doing is the interior and engine enhancements because I want to take the car to the next level. Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the GT/CS site.

Don Potter

rvrtrash

Something I would wonder about is the Marchal lights. I was under the impression that they were only offered on early production cars but the J code 302 would be later production. It also has GT equipment but not the GT center caps. Minor things to be sure but with the clones out there, minor things could count. Definately get a Marti report before dropping $20K.
Steve

classicsguy

I saw that car on Deals on wheels website and it looks impresive! If it is a REAL GT and California Special it should be considered seriously since it has the deluxe interior and overhead console. As others have mentioned the Marti report is the KEY ELEMENT . Look for the California Special option and the GT package option. 20K is too high for this car , if it all matches make them an offer. This car would only be worth 20K if it had a 390ci engine and a 4 speed and I am being generous with the price here.
Good luck and keep us posted if you buy!

68gt390

Take a look at the NADA price guide for the GT/CS. An average GT/CS 390, 4 speed is listed for $17,550.00. That's not even considering the GT option package, upgraded interior etc. Now jump to the next level and your way above that. High value is over $30,000.00. My GT/CS, 390, 4 speed was appraised last month before I even started the interior and engine upgrades at $26,900.00. Imagine were it will be once I'm done. The appraiser said the reason for my appraised value was the body work, paint and current condition of the interior. Granted, getting the appraised value isn't always easy but, lets be realistic. $20,000.00 for a GT/CS, 302 with the options this car has and if it needs very little work I think is well worth that price. Again, make the seller an offer and see were it goes from there.

Don ;D ;D

Sherri P.

I've seen this car too. It makes me drool all over the computer (just kidding). If I could afford the price I would have bought it a couple of weeks ago. Of course I think the Marti report is a great idea. But that truely is what my dream car looks like. I think it's gorgeous!! I tried to get the vin#, via email, and was told they would only give it over the phone. Thought that was kind of strange.....

Happy buying, Sherri

-=MUSTANG=-

The appraised value and actual selling price are more often far apart than close together. 68gt390 can imagine all he would like about the value of his car after the mods he wants to make are finished but he would be hard pressed to find someone to pay even his current 'appraised' value. The asking price of $20,000 sounds way to high, there is a reason this car is sitting unsold, I believe the asking price is one of them. Save your money on the appraisal, and just use what these cars are SELLING for as your guide to an offer. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

Glen Yates

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I got the door plate and vin from the seller. It seems to check out. Am ordering the Marti report and, depending on what it says, I may get an appraiser to check it out. I f the car is in as good a shape as the seller claims, then I am going to make an offer.

If I get the car, I'm sure you will be hearing from me again! Often! I know how to drive them, but don't know too much about how to maintain them!

Agaim. thanks to everyone who responded!

Glen Yates