• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GOLD in Asheville

Russ

My wife and I just returned from the MCA Awards ceremony, where our recently restored, lime gold GT/CS was awarded a concourse trailered gold award. The show venue at the Biltmore was fantastic and the show was very well organized. There were nearly 500 Mustangs placed in two large parking lots, and the variety of Mustangs was incredible.

I had the pleasure of judging the '65-'66 Shelbys, and I must say, the cars in this class were incredible. Also, one of our site members, Danny Truitt (Gt-390gt) was awarded his judging "Gold Card", and I was honored that my car was judged by his team. There were only two other GT/CS Mustangs at the meet, a beautiful sunlit gold car and a meadowlark yellow car. Unfortunately, since I was judging, I did not have time to talk with the owners of these GT/CS Mustangs.

I'll post photos of the show when I return to Flagstaff (only 1948 miles from Asheville....but it was worth the drive!!!!)

Russ Furstnow

Here is a photo of the car in front of the Biltmore Estate (what a house!!)

Attachments

• 2010 Vacation 014.jpg
    2010 Vacation 014.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

somethingspecial

Way to go russ.

Great job Russ. A lot of work , I know. It always takes me a few days for it to really set in. I was told winning Gold first time out is near impossible.. Well, you pulled it off. Great attention to detail. Mike

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Thanks Mike,
I'm extremely happy with the gold. We also entered the Mustang in the National MCA Virginia Beach Show a few weeks ago. The car took a silver award there (the car was judged by a team led by Marty Rupp (Ruppstang)), so I made a few improvements between shows. I still have some changes for the car that will, hopefully, make it better. I guess the next goal is the MCA Medallion Award!
Russ

Ruppstang

Way to go Russ I knew that you could do it! I thought you could not be but a point or two from gold. Thinking of that gold will make the miles go by quicker. See you next year. Marty
Also congrats Danny I am glad you finely got your gold card. I am looking forward to judging with you.

Last edited:

6t8-390gt

Russ,
It was a pleasure to judge your car; we talked and I know you will look at those things objectively. I finished my car in 2005 and I still add or change things before and after shows based on the judges input. I added original Tung-Sol headlights and fog lights in preparation for the Va. Beach show and getting ready to switch out the gas pedal for a more correct original. So the work goes on!

I went to my favorite Mustang parts vender today and replenished some headlight screws and a couple clips. He just got a '67 parts car in that is mostly original, 289-2v, p/s, p/b, a/c, tilt, console...he is supposed to get a well optioned '68 in soon and he says he'll call me first. I hope to get a few things off that car.

Have a safe trip home.

Danny

6t8-390gt

Thanks to everyone regarding the Gold Card; I look forward to judging and sharing/ learning new information.

Danny

di81977

Looks like there has been a good showing for the GT/CS's in the major shows this year. Congratulations.

tclark

Ashville

Russ congradulations on your Gold in Ashville.
I was their with my sunlit gold GT/CS. Great show, I didn't stick around
for awards, had trouble with car after it took 2 hrs for registartion on Thursday, think electronic ignition went out. Had to flat bed it home on Sunday, thanks for Hagerty plus Ins. didn't cost to much.
Tom

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Tom,
I saw your car, and it was beautiful!! I was especially interested in your VIN as it is only a few numbers higher than my highland green GT/CS (8R01C142393). I noted your car has the rear reflectors that have the chrome bezal, while my car has the recessed reflectors. My car was built on February 14, and I be your car was built one day later.

I waited around your car to meet you at Asheville, but you must have been checking out other cars, and I'm sorry I missed you. You have a GREAT car!

Russ Furstnow