• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Oil pan gasket replacement

66hcs-conv

HI all,

Looks like I need to replace the oil pan gasket on the 66 HCS - 289, W/power steering. Its leaking at the rear - will leave a 2X2 spot on the garage floor every nite.

Looks like I need to remove the big heavy cross brace (runs left to right), and possibly the idler arm (to lower steering).

Please tell me of any other problems I may encounter, and any hints you folks can offer.

THANKS, I appreciate your input. :smile:

Dave Spry

rvrtrash

The cross piece isn't very heavy and the idler is easy to drop. You may want to make it even easier by having a pickle fork handy and dropping the drag link from the pitman arm as well. Use some gasket adhesive to hold the gaskets and seals in place, put a little extra at the corners where the end seals mate with the side gaskets and you should be good. One thing I always do is put a thin steel block in the bolt channel and lightly tap the bolt holes from the other side so they are flat again. I think it gives a better seal.

Steve

Mosesatm

The cross piece isn't very heavy and the idler is easy to drop. You may want to make it even easier by having a pickle fork handy and dropping the drag link from the pitman arm as well. Use some gasket adhesive to hold the gaskets and seals in place, put a little extra at the corners where the end seals mate with the side gaskets and you should be good. One thing I always do is put a thin steel block in the bolt channel and lightly tap the bolt holes from the other side so they are flat again. I think it gives a better seal.

Steve

Excellent points!

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

Thanks for the advise - I had forgotten about getting the pan surfaces straight & true.

TheBlkPearl

Dang

It's easiest when the motor is out and upside down.............I used a one-piece Mr. Gasket gasket the last time and it worked well. The standard multiple piece gaskets can be touchy to get sealed. As was mentioned, a smooth clean surface is a must. Retighten the bolts after warming the engine.

Good luck

Randy