• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 302 Header Suggestions

x-codegtcs

OK - I have gone a lot further than I wanted to spend on my motor build, but it is a slippery slope! So I need to decide on headers - I can't find any long tube that the seller will guarantee not to interfere with the stock PS ram. It is an auto, so no z-bar issues...I am looking at shorty headers to avoid issues, but prefer long tube HP benefits...anyone out there with stock, unaltered PS and long tube headers?

Powell

You really need Rob to chime in here he has gone both directions. He also likes to spend other people's money.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Robert! That is the pair I remember from our conversation! I was racking my brain trying to remember!!! Thanks!!

Mustanger

OK - I have gone a lot further than I wanted to spend on my motor build, but it is a slippery slope! So I need to decide on headers - I can't find any long tube that the seller will guarantee not to interfere with the stock PS ram. It is an auto, so no z-bar issues...I am looking at shorty headers to avoid issues, but prefer long tube HP benefits...anyone out there with stock, unaltered PS and long tube headers?

Did you consider tri-y's? If you have a good chunk of change, you may want to look at Doug's headers ...

teamlo

Did you consider tri-y's? If you have a good chunk of change, you may want to look at Doug's headers ...

I'm using the ceramic coated Tri-Y headers from Doug's. My car already had the lowered ram bracket from a previous owner (junk headers on it when I purchased it).

I find the Doug's headers to be excellent. I did end up having to route the power steering hoses similar to the way it's done on a big block car, to prevent the hoses from contacting the headers, but other than that, no issues. Really woke the engine up compared to factory exhaust manifolds. They are a bit pricey though.

Terry

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Rob - what year/application is the starter you are using? I remember you said it was a "mini" and not clockable (as it wasn't needed), but can't remember the year/application so I can search for and buy. Thanks!!

teamlo

Would your Doug Tri-y's fit with the PS if you didn't have the ram lowering adapter?

I just looked at the Doug's Headers online catalog and it appears (in a footnote) that the PS ram "dropdown" bracket would be required with their Tri-Y header. As I said, my car already had one from the PO.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with. Shorties might be your best bet. There are several nice shorty headers on the market.

Terry

AADaddy

My car has the ram lowering bracket on it and long tubes. The long tubes are Hedman. Not sure if they are good or not but they appear to have been the victim of a bottom out somwhere and were welded back together. Also very rusty. So in my book they must be very durable to last through all that!

robert campbell

Rob - what year/application is the starter you are using? I remember you said it was a "mini" and not clockable (as it wasn't needed), but can't remember the year/application so I can search for and buy. Thanks!!

Basically a mini starter from a 95 and up 302. You can get them in a increased torque version. Asked Stan at Ford Powertrain Applications and he can hook you up. Mention my name and he will give you a 5 cent discount. Just kidding!! Great headers and not that spendy. These headers tuck up even with the frame rails! I love them!

Rob