• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Gas cap

mbsf1970

I sometimes read about after market parts that don't fit properly so I have to ask if a non-NOS flip open gas cap would fit properly? Part of the joy of getting a new car sight unseen is discovering all the shortcomings-- such as bondo or overspray on moldings, or broken gas caps. ( for example)

So, should I get an aftermarket flip down gas cap or try for a NOS?

What can I expect to pay? Same for the GT centercaps for my steel wheels?

Thanks,
stephen

whodat

I have a aftermarket gas cap I got from CJ Pony Parts. I waited until they had a 20% off sale. It comes with a screw on cap that you can put with the flip down cap or you can put it like it came from the factory. I haven't had any problems with mine.

dalorzo_f

A tip I like to do, not original but finishes off the cap-to-panel, cut a strip of the headlight bucket to fender seal and wrap it over the edge. Protects the paint and trims it off pretty subtly, most don't even notice...