• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 low vaccum

Powell

Hoping someone can give me some help/info here. My brother-in-law has built me a 302 motor for my GT/CS. It has a "mild " cam that claimed to be without any worries with vacuum.
Upon start up we find the intake vacuum is only 8 inches of mercury, Running a Fitech fuel injection system and it runs poorly at idle,but nice on the drive. Problem is the low vacuum is not good for the power brakes. Any thoughts of adding a external vacuum pump to solve the problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.
POWELL

franklinair

Summit Racing sells many models of supplemental vacuum pumps. 15"hg should operate vacuum requirements for PB booster & A/C vacuum controls OK.

Neil

robert campbell

Please let me know the cam specs. Eight inches at idle is way less than a mild cam should deliver. I think you have some other issues other than the cam. Timing or fuel delivery problems.

We need more info. What dizzy and what is your initial timing? I think we can sort this out.

Rob

1968Cally

Please let me know the cam specs. Eight inches at idle is way less than a mild cam should deliver. I think you have some other issues other than the cam. Timing or fuel delivery problems.

We need more info. What dizzy and what is your initial timing? I think we can sort this out.

Rob
I agree. At this point, I would not be worried about the power brakes or an external booster. I would be worried that there could be a flaw in the engine rebuild.