• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS Convertible???

Mosesatm

Does this make sense to any of you? I'm not buying it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Ford-...ash=item3652b64593:g:tD0AAOSwxs9dWILC&vxp=mtr

Hi
I am not the original owner of the car. I was told by my local Ford dealer that when these cars were being built in California that people special ordered convertible cars for the use of carrying surf boards. That most all the cars were already labeled as coupes and were pulled off the assembly line to be made into convertibles. I do not have a Marti Report. The VIN came off the dash and there is also one on the door that matches. I have updated the listing to reflect your questions for other potential buyers. Thank You for your interest. It truly is a beautiful car.
Mike

Attachments

• q.jpg
    q.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 43
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 39
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 42
  • o.jpg
    o.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 37
  • t.jpg
    t.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 37
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 32
  • w.jpg
    w.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 41
  • y.jpg
    y.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 37

Ruppstang

A Marti report would clear that up real fast. Ford would never assigned a coupe VIN to a convertible body. It is clearly a made up car. Call it what it is and sell it as a very cool modified car. Just my opinion.

CougarCJ

Not buying it. At some time in that convertibles past, someone likely grafted on a front clip from a Coupe.

robert campbell

It would be very interesting to see it on a lift. To see what was underneath as far as factory bracing. A convertible is WAW different than a coupe. I would submit that Ford would never convert a coupe to a convertible after the car was finished. It would be a huge undertaking to do it to ford factory specs.

My guess is the underside has aftermarket bracing to stiffen it up for the top to be cut off.

But as Marty said what a way cool modified! Looks great and IMO well worth the current bid if it was done right and not rusty as the owner states.

Rob

robert campbell

Also, the consecutive unit number of 108513 and recessed reflectors makes this a December 1967 or earlier car. IMO this makes the car fully assembled as a coupe on the line. Unlike a California Special where the conversion was easy form stock coupe to a GT/CS, I find it hard to believe that Ford would have tried to convert a coupe to a convertible. It would be a huge undertaking when many Mustangs were languishing on the Ford Dealer lots. The whole reason behind the GT/CS was to "jump start " sales for all Mustangs.

Would love to see under this car! Scott's thought of a coupe front clip makes sense and then the underside could appear factory Ford.

Still a cool car and a great look!

Rob

franklinair

Chances are its a converted coupe. I once did this type of conversion back in the 1990's. The '68's are the prime candidate for this mod due to the '68's came with the torque boxes on BOTH sides, but still require installing inner rocker panels. There are additional differences between a coupe & convertible. Ask me how I know.:wink::wink:
As far as who did the actual conversion, I seriously doubt if it was done by Ford OR a dealership. The VIN says it is a coupe. Modified, but never the less, a coupe.

Neil

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

A Marti report would clear that up real fast. Ford would never assigned a coupe VIN to a convertible body. It is clearly a made up car. Call it what it is and sell it as a very cool modified car. Just my opinion.

I ordered one.

CougarCJ

The wide rocker rails look like they are correct for a convertible, that is why I am guessing that it has had a front clip change.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Other than the passenger side scripts someone did a good job with the GT/CS details.
I asked the seller to post photos of the hood holes, tail light covers, and fuse box.

franklinair

The inner rocker panels can be added when converting a coupe to a convertible.
If it was a front clip replacement the VIN tag & door tag would both have to be transposed as well, since the numbers match.
The Marti Report will indicate a coupe based on the VIN.
There are other visual clues to look for:
The rear cross member in the trunk is different on a convertible.
The top of the inner fender wells is flattened to allow clearance when the top is down.
There's more, but I can't divulge ALL my secrets of Mustang forgeries.:wink:

Neil

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Here's the Marti Report.

Attachments

• 8R01C108513_stdrpt.pdf
    169.7 KB · Views: 56

franklinair

As I said. It was built as a coupe, and modified to a convertible, plus GT/CS embellished.
Doable, but unless you have a convertible VIN, easily exposed as a mod.
And by the way- its illegal to swap VINs.

Neil