• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Carb Spacer Leak

Mosesatm

Rob was diagnosing a carb problem for me and he told me to check the gasket between the intake and the spacer because gasket manufacturers are making the gaskets too small these days.

Talk about knowing his stuff! Check out the photo of the gasket I was using. The engine was sucking a lot of air through that gap, and it is the correct gasket!

Attachments

• Carb Spacer.jpg
    Carb Spacer.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 73

robert campbell

Scott,
I also get the same Felpro gasket by ordering specifically for a 1968 Mustang with a 4 barrel. This gasket is also correct for most all Ford applications that run this one inch spacer with the PCV port on the back. If not all of them!

I have a good local parts store that has some savvy people behind the counter that I have dealt with since the late 1960's. Some of the fast food part stores are not so savvy on this stuff.

That Mr. Gasket #54 gasket hangs on the wall and is given out all the time. Works great in almost all applications. Except ours!!

Rob

68 special

Very good info. Is there a way to check it with the carb installed? Some sort of leak check.

Bret

robert campbell

Bret,
You would be experiencing poor or fast idling characteristics when hot. Flat spots, and if you have vacuum gauge, a low reading that fluctuates at say 10 or 12 inches of vacuum. An engine that dies if you try to slow it down to normal idle. Now this assumes a stock motor with good initial timing at around 10 to 12 degrees BTDC.

A big cam can do some of the above.

I have heard of people spraying WD 40 or propane near the gasket area. If idle increases, when you do this, you may have an air leak there. Crap, you are near to me. Come on over on a sunny day!

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Rob,
Do you know that purpose of the notches at the bottom of the primary cylinders in the spacer?
Is it a problem if the gasket covers those notches?

robert campbell

Arlie,
The notches are to feed vacuum to the openings/chambers in the spacer for the PCV port. Covering them by the gasket has no effect.

Rob

franklinair

The WD40 trick works. Spray it around the base of the carb and spacer.If you hit a vacuum leak spot, RPM's will rise, and you've found your leak.

Neil