• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 vacuum check valve location

murf104

Once again asking for help. Can anyone provide an image showing the correct, original location for the vacuum check valve. The car used the dual outlet valve, and has both swing away/tilt steering and factory air conditioning. Have the original type metal check valve (at last) but not sure exactly where it was located. Car now has a plastic replacement and auto parts store vac
hose from intake manifold. Thanks in advance for any help.

franklinair

Does your car have the vacuum canister mounted in the rite front wheelwell, with the two vacuum fittings protruding thru the inner fender panel? As I recall, the check valve is in the vacuum supply line @ the upper area of the firewall, near the right side. This was used on factory A/C cars.

Neil

Midnight Special

Is this it?
It's on our '68 coupe that had factory air recently removed...

Attachments

• IM002279.jpg
    IM002279.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 36

rvrtrash

Tim, that's the valve for the water bypass for the heater core. Murf, are you talking about the vacumn storage canister? That mounts through the right, rear inner fender, and looks like a tomato soup can with fittings coming out the top. The only actual check valve I know of is on the brake booster, but then I don't have the swing-away wheel.

Steve

OP
OP
M

murf104

Seems I am pretty stupid, and the vac check valves are located in the cannisters. This car has two cannisters, one for the AC and one for the swing away. Both are located on the passenger side, one near the hood hinge, the other behind the battery. From the engine compartment only the little nipple ends of the cannisters are visible. My swing away wheel will only work properly if there is a check valve in the hose leading to it, but with your help we know that the check valve should be in the "can" rather than the hose. I had seen the dual port check valve in the factory assembly manuals and thought the Mustang used that device, but upon looking closer it seems that only Cougars had this feature, and it appears to be in the headlight vac system. Sorry for the confusion caused, you will find me sitting in the corner facing the wall, with a red face.

GTCSMustang

I have a car with tilt and air if you need any pictures of the hose routing.

Scott

Midnight Special

Seems I am pretty stupid,.......Sorry for the confusion caused, you will find me sitting in the corner facing the wall, with a red face.

Don't feel bad. If not for Steve - I might have reconnected mine to suck all the water out of the heater core - or worse; get blasted with hot water thru the steering wheel when using the horn!

;-)

J_Speegle

John there was a two to one check valve installed on AC with tilt Mustangs but that was in 69. Not sure (would have to look) if they were joined (both canisters vacuum into one) in the same way in 68

Green arrow indicates the valve on that 69 GT350 I'm helping with. Joins the two canisters to one vacuum port on the engine. Sorry this is getting slightly off thread :(

Check.jpg