• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 AOD Transmission

whodat

I want to put a AOD transmission in my C-Code. I hear the flywheel has to be changed. Can someone give me info on the flywheel and flexplate replacement?

J.Bart

i'm not so sure that it does. it's been a while, but i did a bunch of trans swapping.
fmx to aod then to c6, oops that one went out, hey i found a c4 .
then i figured out that i need to replace that front seal, and everytime i put in an auto trans that i don't know the history on.

it seems that i had more trouble with the driveline matching up to the output shaft. than the flexplate matching up to the torque conv.

i would matchup some parts if you have an extra flexplate around.
or have the parts store pull out what you need and see if they match up.

68 special

Might check out mustang monthly online. They usually have pretty good tech articles. If memory serves correct, the '85 - '88 mustang aod trans are a fairly easy swap,(BIG IF). I'm sure someone on here has done it and can point out the little tricks to make it as easy as possible.

Bret

di81977

I recently bought a 68 mustang that has an AOD. Not very happy with it right now. My understanding is that they are heavy and take up power. I have someone looking at mine this week. If I can not get it running how I want, I am conteplating a convertion to a 5spd manual.

Do some internet searching. Can't remember the dates, but later ones are better than early ones. Good news is that AOD's are easy and inexpensive to find.

david

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

Thanks, there is someone that I will contact from here that did the swap. I have read the MM article as well.
Transmission ordered today. The shop will get the flexplate and make the modifications to the exhaust and drive shaft. It should be ready to be installed in 3 weeks. Can't wait.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whodat

whodat

Anybody know anything about the seperator plate for the AOD swap? I need info on where to get it. My transmission guy said the 289/c-4 won't work. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

Found it at Performance Automotive and Transmission center via the Mustang Monthly AOD conversion article.

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

I went and saw the car today. The AOD is in and everything connected. Just a few more adjustments and I should get the car back friday.

robert campbell

I have the PATC AOD dominator in my car. Throttle valve cable adjustment is critical to shift points. I assume they put the Lokar conversions cable on your car. Geometry of the hook up point on the carb is critical also. What carb are you running? Also be prepared for a much “heavier” feel to your throttle linkage. You are now pulling against the spring on the throttle valve cable down where it hooks to the tranny. I cut my spring as short as I could to take some of the “heavy-ness” out.

The “looser the adjustment the sooner it shifts”. The tighter the adjustment the longer it stays in gear and the shifts are harder. They react very similar to a C4 and C6 in this aspect. Many people do not know how important it is to have their “kick down” rod or cable properly adjusted on a C4 or C6. The kick down adjustment also controls when the transmission shifts.

Rob

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

I have a two-barrel for now. C-code 289 with 2.79 rear end and 14" tires. The AOD conversion package from CJ Pony parts seems to be for a 4-barrel. Also the kit didn't have a flexplate or a seperator plate which I had to find. I have the Lokar kick down cable, but he said my speedo is off. How do I determine which speedo gear I need? I never drove it today, but will pick it up monday. Just in time for Cruisin the Coast in Biloxi, Miss.