• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

autheticity

hdricky

I've always loved the GT/CS but have just recently started looking seriously to buy one. What should I look for to make sure it's a real GT/CS? One that I'm looking at has a vinyl top. Could that be stock? Thanks for the help.

x-codegtcs

I would recommend checking out the PARTS LIST on this site. It gives a pretty comprehensive list of what to look for. Vinyl roofs are common on the GT/CS as I have a black one.

When looking to authenticate, first look at the fog lights (Marchal or Lucas are correct), then the fiberglass (inside trunk lid should be smooth no fibers showing) and look at the front grill - no running horse and should be a '67 model. Those are the first places to look and the most obvious. If it passes these tests, then dig deeper.

Good Luck!

rjw

If you find one you are serious about, you can order a "Marti" report (linked on this site) that will give you definitive information whether it is a "real" GT/CS. It is affordable and will give you the peace of mind of your car's legitimacy. And by the way, mine has the black vinyl top as well.

RacingFan

Definately the VIN and Marti Report will tell the tale, if the owner doesn't provide the VIN and door tag info with a smile, you can usually count on a clone. If you have the VIN, post it here, some of us with the two editions of Pauls registry book can tell you if it is registered, or if it contains the correct letter in the VIN to indicate a San Jose built Mustang.

68sunlitgold

hdricky,
As Paul states in the registry, being in it does not prove that it is authentic, he does not run the VIN #'s so only a report from Marti or maybe actual invoice paperwork from the owner can prove it is authentic. Good luck
Doug

RacingFan

Thats true Doug. And it brings up a good point about the GTCS Registry. I have two vehicles in the Saleen Registry, and had one Shelby in that registry. There was never any doubt that if the car was in the registry, barring any VIN plate changes, that it was authentic. In fact, one of the most important things to complete if you are considering a Shelby purchace is to consult the registry to determine authenticity. Ditto with Saleen. ??? So what are we saying about the GTCS registry? Do you think that it is corrupt? If authenticity is important, do we have a registry that supports it? Hmmmmmmm I realize that the registry is only for data collection and not for resale or insurance purposes. I would guess that most of the vehicles in the registry are true GT/CS's. But who knows? Thats unfortunate.

StraightSix

Without one of two things, the GT/CS registry can't be proof of authenticity:

1. An agreement between Paul Newitt and Kevin Marti that allows the VIN to be run for each registrant, only providing a "Yes" or "No" for authenticity.

2. A requirement by Paul to mail/fax a copy of the Marti report (or window sticker) for each car that is registered.

The problem with 1. is potential abuse of the system and loss of business to Marti. All I have to do is try to "register" any car I'm thinking of buying and I'll find out if it's authentic. Of course, if there were some sort of delay associated with registry, then that might solve the problem. Most people want to know right away when a purchase is pending.

The problem with 2. is that some people may know that their car is authentic and don't want to spend the money on a report telling them the same. Cases include original owners, second owners who bought from the original owner, etc. This is probably not the usual case -- most people want to know all of the other goodies that come on a Marti report. Another problem here is that it's easy to fake a report (especially in a photocopy) and then use the registry to claim that your car is authentic. I can totally see that happening.

The most secure method would be 1. The easiest method for the registry would be 2. Any thoughts by you guys? ???

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Straightsix,
I agree with both of your options but I think option 1 would work the best. RacingFan may know better than I since he has a car in the Shelby registry, but I think the registry owner and Shelby have an agreement to authenticate cars, and I am sure there is a cost involved that is why the Shelby registry is (I believe) $125 (along with it has 1200 pages). That registry also has, in the past, consolidated every VIN # for Shelby's so they know which is which.
Maybe an answer would be to ask Marti how much it would cost to have a complete rundown of all the CS VIN #, don't need all the bells and whistles with the printout just the VIN #s. Have that info in Paul hands (or who ever handles the registry in the future) so when someone sends in a registry he can add it or return it. We, members of this site, could put the money forward to help in the cost of the printout.
Just some thoughts but I do agree that it would be great to have an access like the Shelby registry to authenticate a car.
Doug

quicknick

I for one would be willing to help fund such a project if it comes to fruition. As the proud owner of an authentic Marti certified GT/CS, I think it is important to purify the registry and weed out the clones. If for no other reason, to increase the value of all our cars!

StraightSix

I agree, and would be willing to contribute toward this effort as well. Who among us should talk with Paul/Kevin about this? Jon, perhaps? ;)

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Winston,
I called Kevin today, unfortunately he was not there so I had to leave a message. I asked him if first he could do the research (I sure he could), then would he be willing to do it, and last how much to do just a VIN # rearch. I hope to have an answer by tomorrow and will post the response then.
Doug

68sunlitgold

Ok, I finally got ahold of Kevin today. He told me that he has an agreement with Ford to not release information on unknown VIN #'s, I can understand this because he explained how easily a car can be made into a fake. And he also mensioned that Shelby can do it because Carrol Shelby owns the rights to the VIN #'s on Shelbys, not Ford. He did say that he could take the registry book and verify that all the cars are authentic because these cars exist. Now I don't know how much good that would do except for the next addition of the registry. But he did say he could do it but did not know a price if he did not know the # he needs to research. Now as Winston suggusted, we could have all the registry members send in a Marti Auto works paperwork. I also know that it could be forged but I think that maybe this is the best way to go if we want authenticity.
It would be great to get Pauls inputs on it, remember it should not become more work for Paul then it is worth.
Doug

StraightSix

Thanks for doing that, Doug. It's a bit disappointing that we can't get all the VIN #'s, but understandable. It sounds like more work (and therefore more money) for Kevin to compare all the existing registered VIN #'s to his database for authenticity. I'm not sure how much more work, however, as I don't know how the database is set up.

I like the idea of each new registrant sending in the Marti paperwork, but I fear that getting in touch with most of the owners whose cars are already in the registry will be pretty much impossible. I think the best solution is for Kevin to research the VIN #'s already in the registry, and for new registrants to provide Marti paperwork. This means Paul will need to give us a count of the number of existing registrants, which we will then provide to Kevin for a cost estimate. It should be easy enough for Paul, as I suspect that he has a running count of the VIN #'s going. Maybe Paul will read the board this weekend... I'll shoot him an email and let him know what's going on.

-Winston

Edit: His email address is hidden in his profile, so I sent him a private message.

My husband purchased a 68 GT/CS for our teen-age son several years ago. They were impatient and did not authenticate. Anyway, we were considering selling the mustang when authentication came up. Upon investigation. I found the following:

The VIN number on the door tag reveals an 8R01 number. Also, the Code Numbers found on the door tag are an accurate description of the car.

The VIN on the title reveals a different number, 8F01... (not a GT/CS).

We found a VIN number on the right inner fender (passenger side) that matches the title VIN.

We were not able to read the VIN on the Engine Block.

The car has the special features of a California Special.

I have requested a Marti report on the door tag VIN, have not received the results.

It seems like we have two cars in one. Any suggestions???

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Is the "8F01" the only difference between the two VIN numbers that you have? If so it's entirely possible that someone along the way made a typo at the DMV.

If the numbers are exactly the same except for the 2nd digit I would call Kevin Marti directly and tell them your concern. There should not be two cars with the same consecutive unit number (last part of the VIN) so he should be able to tell you which is correct. (623) 935-2558

Of course if the rest of the VIN is totally different between the two then something more sinister may have happened in the cars past.

The Door Tag Number is completely different from the VIN on the title and the inner fender (the title and fender numbers match).

[quote author=marc link=board=1;threadid=125;start=15#msg2590 date=1056844598]
The Door Tag Number is completely different from the VIN on the title and the inner fender (the title and fender numbers match).
[/quote]

The door was replaced--it probably came from the CS "donor " car that also gave you your fiberglass CS specific parts. The correct VIN of the car is on the fenders and title. I'd say it's a clone.

Russ

It's good to remember that Ford NEVER intended the door tag to be used for registration purposes. The door tags only use was as a "warranty tag". The only VIN tag is located on the right side of the dash and should always be visible. The other two VIN locations are under the front fenders. With our cars increasing in value, it is critical to be aware of the VIN and it's location. Hope this helps.

Russ