• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

I may have to sell my GT/CS to publish my book..

obwan93001

Whaaaaaa?!

Been away for a few days and just catching up.... :icon_pani

PAUL, PLEASE DO NOT SELL YOUR GT/CS!

I had to do a double-take when I read your original post a few minutes ago, please don't sell her. You and your GT/CS are way too valuable and NONE of us want you to sell her. I wish that I could help you out with $ now but I am "in-between" jobs at the current time and have been for a while (IT field has become a tough one these days) but I will be receiving an income tax refund this year and will at the least send you payment for one book in full when I get it. I had an interview this afternoon and it went very well. I was told at the end of it that I am now one of four candidates/finalists who will be called this Friday for a 2nd interview this time with the company's COO so please wish me luck. Once I start working again I can send you (PaulN) some more $ to help out w/the book and also put some more $ into the next phase of my GT/CS's mild resto. I hope to have the paint and interior done by November of this year as my plans have been to present it to my Dad so he has a very cool pony to cruise around in before he can no longer drive as he will be 77 this year. He currently has a plain jane '66 289 coupe but the CS would be nicer :wink: to cruise. I've too thought of selling my GT/CS as things have gotten tougher lately but my Dad now realizes how "special" the California Special really is and has told me not to sell her, he says he'd rather sell his '66 to help me out if it comes to that. Let's hope not though.

Again, PLEASE DON'T SELL HER PAUL, PLEASE!!!

Oscar
obwan93001

John McGilvary

Hey Paul,

Just forget about selling your wheels, we can figure something out.
In my 40 years of CS ownership there have been many a time I considered selling my CS. But I never did sell, and things just seemed to work out, as they will now.

John

GT/CS S Code

Ditto Paul!

Don't even THINK about selling your personal CS, OK?

We will send full payment shortly for our copy of the upcoming book, as I'm sure most of the other members of this forum will do also now that they know of your current financial situation. We will all pull together to help make this eagerly anticipated book happen for you.

Sit back, take a deep breath, let it out slowly, and then RELAX ... it'll all come together without such drastic measures as selling your car!

Best regards,

Al & Laurie Page
aka
GT/CS S Code

gt bandit

Paul

Money is only a means to an end - A CS is far more than money, as you have pointed out so many memories.

Keep the Car - mate

we can work the rest out

shaun

HappyHour

I too as a shorttimer would like to express thanks to you Paul and the Forum for being so helpful for your insight, CS stories, and genuine love of the Cali Special. Its one of the main reasons I was able to research and find my California Special Paul so I would hope you take this opportunity for us to help you and feel like we had some sort of hand in getting this book launched.

I actually saw it as a privilege to be able to be buy this book and if paying up front for the books helps I would like to send in a check in full for my 2 ASAP.

No matter how I read your email to sell your CS its just not convincing me so I would also like to lend $$$ in a AYE (1K) or and AYE AYE (2K) offline after you have read through all the emails. (maybe we can get our name on a shout-out page?? or if not a gold star?). If your gonna sell your CS do it after the book is released on your own terms.

:smile:

RobKat
PS. And did someone from Oregon just call out Cali owners?? Nuff said...Im taking the hammer to Mr Piggybank! It on...

CJ

How about a fundraiser............One thought comes to mind is having GT/CS shirts silk screened. Everybody wants t-shirts especially if they depict our GT/CS (old and new) and the High Country. I know I would buy a bunch. All profits or a percentage would assist Paul with the book. Any silk screeners out there?

CJ

clubpro

PayPal charges an average of 3% per transaction. The more volume the lower the fees. I use them for the speed and convenience and factor the transaction fees into my cost of goods. It's a quick and easy way to send money as far as I'm concerned.

I would be willing to pay $105 for the book knowing that the $5 would cover the PayPal charges and the rest for shipping or whatever.

Cheers!

Ron

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

First of all, my heartfelt thanks to all of you willing to help, and have offered ideas, money, etc. I am truly lucky to have this kind of enthusiasm. I couldn't have done any part of this book without your participation on this website. This book will truly be a group effort, and I feel that it will be much better for that reason. The response here has been personally quite overwhelming...to say the least.

The good news today is that it looks like I won't have to sell my GT/CS. Even if I wanted to, you guys would stand in the way....LOL!! Thanks for your thoughts and support. In fact, your thoughts on this really speak a lot about just how well-loved this Mustang is to owners--and why we've had (now) three book editions about it (1989, 1996, 2008).

I counted the number of books ordered so far, and as of today, that number is 184. I have just under that number of books' advance orders (@ $50), since a few folks sent in the full amount (thank you). I wouldn't say "no" to anyone who wishes to send in the full amount at this time (the other $50 balance), but my original intent was to have an honor system with me, since not everyone these days can instantly plunk down $100 at a time (in today's economy).

For separate amounts of money offered to help out, such as $1,000 or more, let me get back to you, since I am going to try to go with "Plan B" first. The whole idea of that kind of help is astounding to me!

"Plan B" -- includes the sale of 180 more books, by :

1. Mailing out fliers to about 650 members of the Registry. My original 1996 mailing list was pared down due to address changes, cars sold, etc, since then. The flier will update the books' release, with the info and reservation info for the Galpin Ford ( GT/CS 40th Anniv. Party) event on April 19th.; and a promotion for book sales to those who may not have yet pre-ordered. What would help greatly is the sale of another 180 books (min.) to completely pay for the printing (and insurance). I crunched some numbers last night, and it comes to about $18K required to do this (which does not include the $8K I have yet to collect as a balance. In fact, I'm still looking for a liability insurance company that deals with licensing with books, to satisfy the requirements set by Ford Licensing. If anyone knows of such a specialized insurance company, please PM me (if my PM box is full--I'll get to it ASAP). I (we) have some time before the printing costs are due; about six to eight weeks for the first (down) payment, of about $13K. Hopefully, I'll receive some more orders to get closer to that amount.

2. I would like to spread the word about the book on other Mustang websites, in particular those that talk about the 2007-2008 GT/CS. There are many Mustang sites, with message boards, that if you belong to any of these sites, please post the following URL, so that folks can download the .pdf files of the mailer to order a book or two. The late model folks don't know much (yet) about this new book, which I'm devoting 14 pages to the late model GT/CS' history, production (with full prod. numbers), performance options,photos, etc. It will include an interview with the late model's project manager, with stories of how the new CS came into being.

Here is the site's URL that you can post (this will also promote this site as well, so it's a win-win for everyone:

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5494

This will greatly promote the book, and will increase orders across the net. If, for some reason the URL isn't your first choice on another site, please grab the 'pdf files, and post them on that site. Be sure to include all the pages, and order form. I really appreciate anything you can do in posting this information.

3. On the other end, I am applying for credit with the printer, to pay the balance of the book's cost over time. There may be the need for help with the credit app, but I can PM with those interested in helping with that. I'll know more about that later this week.

4. Once the book is in print, it will sell itself in circulation, magazine reviews, and a couple of retail locations (incl. Tony Branda)... And--some people are more willing to pay for this book, once it's in their hands.

These things will greatly help with the publication of the book--and it means that I won't have to sell my GT/CS. I felt that the commitment to the book, and to those who pre-purchased it was important enough to take that kind of drastic measure. By pooling our resources, we can make this book happen.

I'll check out Pay Pal, and I appreciate CJ's T-shirt idea, too.

I really, really appreciate all your help, ideas and interest.

thank you again,

Paul Newitt

stang68cs

I haven't contributed much to this site in the past, due to the fact I don't own a GT/CS anymore, but I've enjoyed reading about everything everyday, until today. It made me extremely sad that Paul would have to consider selling his vehicle to finance the book. I know we have some smart people with good ideas of how to raise more money. I, also, like the idea of the t-shirts as I can recall seeing a design like the tape stripe in the past. I have about 2 dozen XL Hanes Beefy T whites leftover from a running race that I would donate to the cause. I would also be willing to assist in anyway to raise some money for the book. Thanks.

wally05

Paul.... I will cry if you sell your car... you want to make a grown man cry?? do ya? I'm more than willing to contribute more. Let us knoW!

wally05

Give me an address and I'll have the rest of my payment on the way, Paul! and maybe a little more. :)

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Paul.... I will cry if you sell your car... you want to make a grown man cry?? do ya?

I beat you to it...(Mon) last night. First the prospect of selling it, then the support from you guys.

Paul :)

hotrodgrany

Please don't sell your baby, I think we all can help in some way, this is what California Specials are all about. I have the address will send as soon as I can. ' Hotrodgrany' Here is the information to refresh those that need it.

Attachments

• orderform[1].pdf
    390.1 KB · Views: 37

case12

(Casey, I see you registered at Team Shelby as well :cool: )

Yes, I became a member and joined that site recently just to get a flavor of that group of discussion. I have been a SAAC member for many years, and am now enjoying their new Forums site they have started. I saw Jeff Speegle on some of the forums over at SAAC - good to see him supporting them and us, along with MCA. (sorry for hijacking the thread - "now back to our regularly scheduled program") Casey

LUVMYCS

How about a fundraiser............One thought comes to mind is having GT/CS shirts silk screened. Everybody wants t-shirts especially if they depict our GT/CS (old and new) and the High Country. I know I would buy a bunch. All profits or a percentage would assist Paul with the book. Any silk screeners out there?

CJ

I have a connection to a silk screener. I would be more than happy to get a quote just PM me with all the specs!

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I was just at a printer rep today, and I gotta tell you--this is going to be one absolutely beautiful book!

Full color text pages, and graphics, and a textured black cover that will look like a vinyl top, with a chrome GT/CS stripe on the cover (with the '07-'08 stripe on the back, also in chrome).

More to follow...

thanks for everything,

Paul N.

p.s. I have a quick story for you...last friday, when I was intending to sell my CS, I went to get gas in another car, at the Chevron in Davis, and a beautiful red-orange 1970 Challenger was parked in front of me, getting gas. I said to the guy--"hey--is that one of those million dollar Hemi "cudas?"..

He says--no, it's a 440 magnum, Challlenger...

We talked for a while, and I told him I did the GT/CS Registry...and he says, oh, I have a '68 GT/CS, too! I've never heard of your registry".

When I got over the surprise (!!)....I handed him a book flier.

When he left, I was still filling gas in my car, and he waved, and at the light, he did a little "launch", so the 440 could wind out (WAAAAaaaaa) for a second...

The moral of the story, is that are times when something kinda metaphysical happens as a signal to do--or not--to do something. Be it a guardian angel, or preminition, or event. This was all about telling me to keep the GT/CS..

..it happened when the 440 ramped the RPM to 3 grand...

WAAAAaaaaaa.....

CJ 56

Hi Paul, Chris here from NZ, I have to agree, do not sell your car.
I am happy to pay the balance of my order and order another book.

I think every one here will pitch in as best they can, please don't sell your car.