• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Gotta feel sorry for the kids of today

Mosesatm

Just heard Paradise by the Dashboard Lights, and The Summer of '69. The kids of today have no clue what they missed. It's no wonder all the little boy bands keep redoing all the old classics.

Of course, the album Bat out of Hell will be a classic forever. I heard the other day that Boston's debut album is still the best selling debut album of all time.

Then there's Seger, Mellencamp, BTO, Eagles, Clapton, Thorogood, Journey, et al.

How in the world did that eventually turn into what they play now????!!!

Sorry, just feeling nostalgic.

Mustanglvr

Don`t forget ELO and Styx and Heart.......
I used to sing Pat Benatar, Heart and Fleetwood Mac songs in the band I was in.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Mustanglvr said:
Don`t forget ELO and Styx and Heart.......
I used to sing Pat Benatar, Heart and Fleetwood Mac songs in the band I was in.

Being from Eastern Washington the Wilson sisters were considered musical Gods.

Mustanglvr

I have a pretty loud stereo and I like to crank up the songs Crazy on you and Magic Man every once in awhile. I`ve sang them in Karaoke alot.

mmarsalone

Those were the bands and albums that came out when I was in middle school. In high school our band was RUSH. Still listen to those CDs now. But everyone I hung around with had a Boston and Styx tape in their car.

And you can't forget Kansas, I saw them 3 times in high school. Only once with the original singer though.

Really nostalgic, in first grade everyone on our school bus would sing America Pie by Don McClean when it came on the radio.

marie68csmustangs

Yeah, I liked the Eagles - Hotel California.. Listen to Def Leppard and Metallica. I know what you all mean about what kids listen to today.. I don't understand - it just sounds like "static" comning from their speakers.. I like to combat them by cranking up my radio..

rvrtrash

I must have been the one your mothers warned you about. You guys are tame. I listened (and still do) to Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, UFO, Head East. I have the stuff you guys mentioned but it wasn't my first love. Arlie, listen to "Everything Louder than Everything Else" on Bat out of Hell 2. Best Rush song? 2112 was good but it has to be "Red Barchetta".

Steve (No longer has long hair-Hell, no longer has hair)

390cs68rcode

I agree, all the bands listed in this thread are the ones I still like listening too. 2 of my employees are former musicians (and are my age 35) and we have this discussion all the time. Kind of amusing when we talk about these bands because a couple of my young employees have no clue who we are talking about (they are only 22 and 20 years old). The younger generations just don't get it, bummer

68gt390

rvrtrash said:
I must have been the one your mothers warned you about. You guys are tame. I listened (and still do) to Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, UFO, Head East. I have the stuff you guys mentioned but it wasn't my first love. Arlie, listen to "Everything Louder than Everything Else" on Bat out of Hell 2. Best Rush song? 2112 was good but it has to be "Red Barchetta".

Steve (No longer has long hair-Hell, no longer has hair)

Steve;
Those were the bands a lot of us listened to in Viet-Nam. Boy does that bring back some laid-back times. I remember listening to a lot of Frank Zappa's albums. I still have a lot of my old vinyl albums packed away in the basement. My son keeps trying to get me to let him sell them on ebay. Not yet. I have an album by Cream called desreilie gears (not sure on spelling) that I bought in a local downtown shop while there just because of the album cover and my condition at that time. Come to think of it, maybe that's why my time in SEA went so fast or at least felt like it did.

Don :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nfrntau

How about Yes, Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones when they were still good. Aerosmith and Hendrix comes to mind and then more recently Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Mustanglvr

Anybody remember "10 Years After" They played at Woodstock. They were an awesome band. I loved Sha-na-na and they were there too.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

rvrtrash said:
Arlie, listen to "Everything Louder than Everything Else" on Bat out of Hell 2.
Steve, I went out and bought Hell 2 as soon as I heard that Jim Steinman wrote all the songs.

I think our tastes are just a little different in that "Everything Louder" is one of the songs I didn't place on my iPod. That one and the song I consider to be the weakest song on the cd but was the only one that was a real hit - "I Won't do that for Love" or something like that.

The first is to syruppy and the second is just a little too head-bangerish for my taste. "Objects in the Rearview Mirror", "Rock and Roll Dreams", "Lost Boys and Golden Girls", and Out of the Frying Pan" are more my speed.

OMG - we totally forgot about Skynyrd!!!!! And then there's the classic, "I Can't Drive 55" by whats-his-face.

My wife just can't understand why I listen to Skynyrd. And, of course, the one song I don't like and didn't download from their greatest hits cd is the one most others idolize - "Freebird".

Last edited:

rvrtrash

Mosesatm said:
the second is just a little too head-bangerish for my taste. "Objects in the Rearview Mirror", "Rock and Roll Dreams", "Lost Boys and Golden Girls", and Out of the Frying Pan" are more my speed.
".

So I guess Ted Nugent and Judas Priest are out of the question?:ghostride

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Uh, yes.

Steve, my wife and 5 others from our company are taking one of our jets to Twin Falls tonight, then driving to Rupert for a funeral. May I assume that Rupert, Idaho is the purest definition of "the middle of nowhere"?

Too bad they couldn't have taken the G5, they got stuck with the Hawker instead.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

So what 10 or 20 songs would you put on an all-time greatest hits cd?

TheBlkPearl

I like all of the bands mentioned but a couple of my favorites are Wishbone Ash (Blowin Free) and Humble Pie (30 days in the hole).

case12

Sounds like I am a bit older - Iron Butterfly, Deep Purple and Grand Funk Railroad.

A little later stuff I like listening to in the '68 is Boston and Steve Miller Band.

I even have a Jackson 5 CD in the '66. And what about the Bee Gee's - STOP...what did I just say - NO:icon_no: ??

Casey