• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Air/Heat actuators

franklinair

For those that have '67/'68 Factory in-dash A/C:
The pneumatic (vacuum) actuators that control the airflow throughout the 'in-dash' plenum & vents have a tendency to fail (after 50 years) due to the leaking internal diaphragm. There are 4 of them- all identical.
You can still get Ford replacement units for these that are a direct fit.
Google part number YH-161 and you'll find them online. (About $50)
Hope this helps anyone having a misbehaving A/C-Heat system.

Neil

1968Cally

Thanks. Amazon has them for $43.78 but only three left but "more on the way" I wonder if I should replace them while I have the dash apart?

What about the vacuum switch on the heat/AC control that the four vacuum hoses plug on to? Are these fairly reliable?

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I've never experienced a problem with the selector.
Two of the vacuum units are only accessible when the instrument cluster is removed. Even then, its a PITA. (I also remove the ash tray assembly for additional access.)
If you've already got the dash opened up, its an ideal time to replace the actuators. (After 50 years the diaphragms get brittle and leak.)
The new units come with a looong/universal rod. I discard those and use the original/existing rod which is already the correct length. Its secured by a single Philips head screw.

Neil

1968Cally

Two of the vacuum units are only accessible when the instrument cluster is removed. Even then, its a PITA. (I also remove the ash tray assembly for additional access.)
If you've already got the dash opened up, its an ideal time to replace the actuators. (After 50 years the diaphragms get brittle and leak.)
The new units come with a looong/universal rod. I discard those and use the original/existing rod which is already the correct length. Its secured by a single Philips head screw.

Neil
Super. More ways to spend money! :grin:

1968Cally

Neil
So, if I am going to replace the actuators, I guess that I will also replace the vacuum hose as they do not fit very snugly on the heater control or the actuators. DO you know what inside diameter I should get?

Mosesatm

Here are some diagrams.

Attachments

• V4.jpg
    V4.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 68 Vacuum 5.jpg
    68 Vacuum 5.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 68 Vacuum 6.jpg
    68 Vacuum 6.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

You can buy a new complete set of vacuum hoses, color coded. Worthwhile doing.
NPD P/N 19A581-2A, $32.67

Neil

1968Cally

You can buy a new complete set of vacuum hoses, color coded. Worthwhile doing.
NPD P/N 19A581-2A, $32.67

Neil
Wound up getting the four vacuum actuators at Rock Auto - 38.99 apiece.

Also ordered the vacuum line set today

1968Cally

So, the one easy to get to on the right side heater box was a bit sluggish when I tested it but was working using a vacuum line from my daily driver. Put the new one in and it works very well.

Interestingly, the vacuum line set was out of stock at NPD last weekend. All of a sudden it was available again later in the week and it is now only $14.50. Same part number - Scott drake color coded. Not sure why the price is less than half of what it was.

1968Cally

So I put in the other three vacuum actuators today. The two behind the ashtray were tougher than the ones on the passenger side but not too bad. Tested them and they are all good. Actually, the old ones seemed to be working okay. I have the cluster, ashtray, console and radio out so there was plenty of access (sort of). I did not go in through the cluster but used that to place the trouble light.

I will replace the vacuum lines, hopefully tomorrow. I did notice the the lines on the actuators were noy very snug at all. Glad I got the new vacuum line set.