• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

? speedometer removal

EBS

My speedometer needle has begun to jump and make clicking sounds. I replaced the cable and tried to lubricate the speedometer head from the back (where cable inserts), but to no avail. Can someone tell me the steps to remove the speedometer without damaging it? I think that it needs some professional refurbishment. Thanks for any info.
Ed

PFSlim

Mine did the same thing until the needle finally broke off. I replaced my speedo with a different one and it works great.

If you want to keep yours and keep the milage accurate, here is how to remove it. Just under the dash pad is about 4 screws holding your instrument bezel in place. Remove those 4 screws, plus at least 2 screws from under the dash on bezel. Once the instrument cluster is loose, put down a towel or something to protect your steering column. Move the instrument cluster out towards steering wheel. Reach behind the instrument cluster and disconnect two large electrical plugs and the speedo cable. The instrument cluster should then just come out with some wiggling around the steering column.

Remove bezel then remove the speedo. I know there are people around that rebuild speedo's. They completely take apart and make like new. I would recommend that instead of pulling out and putting in a completely different unit.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Mosesatm

Paul, I think there may be 3 electrical plugs. One plugs into top of the bezel and the other 2 are in-line. My cluster also has one oddball light that needs to be unhooked.

PFSlim

Arlie

You may be right. I can only remember the two large plugs. However, I do have an extra as I have a tach in my dash. Just didn't figure hardly anyone else had one of those.

It seems like I have had my cluster out enough. Last year and beginning of this year, I removed several times. Glad not to be doing it anymore.

Paul

OP
OP
E

EBS

Thanks for the information. It turned a potentially mysterious project into an easy job.
There are indeed three multipin connectors.
Now it's off to the speedometer rehab center.
Ed

PFSlim

Good luck Ed. Please gain as much information from the Rehab guy as you can and post that information back on the site. I think it would be helpful to everyone to know what this job entails.

I will be very curious as this the route I should have gone.

Paul