• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale J-Code 4-Speed, GT

Mosesatm

I purchased this car a few years ago and spent a ton of money turning it into a long distance cruiser. The buyer didn't make the payments so I have it back and don't have room for it so I'm going to put it up for sale.

Check out the option list:
- 302 4V - The engine is numbers-matching and I had it rebuilt to stock specs. I have the original Autolite 4300 carburetor (rebuilt by Rob) and all the smog equipment.
- 4-Speed - now a 5-speed, but I have the numbers-matching 4-speed and it has been rebuilt
- Locking Differential - pretty sure it had been replace with an open diff. I installed a 3.25 open
- GT Equipment
- Deluxe Interior
- Console – the console is not in the car but I have it. It is missing the radio panel (Neil owes me one) but is perfect otherwise
- Headrests
- Power Steering
- Power Disc Brakes
- Vinyl Roof
- 8-Track - Not in the car but I have one
- Deluxe Belts
- Radial Tires - I have never seen another GT/CS with radial tires
- Chrome styled steel wheels - Magnums are now on the car with new tires
- The car did not come with AC but I added it using factory controls and vents
- I installed a tach that looks exactly like a factory unit

I can send a list of everything I repaired and/or replaced on the car for anyone who is interested, but here are a few things I did not repair or replace.

- There is a bizarre problem with the headlights. I installed a new lighting wiring harness and now the headlights come on when the parking lights should come on, and the parking lights come on when the headlight switch is pulled out for the headlights to come on. This may be a weekend project for Steve and me!
- This car was made to be a long distance hauler so I did not repair some of the minor exterior paint issues. The only significant one being a small rust bubble on one of the doors.
- The battery box is rusted out as is the portion of the radiator support with the oval holes.
- There is a small split in the vinyl top, above the windshield. I don’t know if it can be repaired or sealed.
- The car was hit in the rear and the metal tail light panel was replaced, with the tail light holes poorly cut.
- There is a repaired wrinkle on the quarter panel that is visible from inside the trunk
- The car was Lime Gold but was painted Gulfstream Aqua
- A lot of the exterior chrome is pitted
- For some reason the deluxe dash panel emblem is incorrectly located

My best guess at a price is $25K. I know some people may gasp at that price but based on current trends I don't think it's unreasonable for a GT, 4-speed car, with a Deluxe Interior and head rests.

Here are some photos. I'll also put many more on PhotoBucket.

Attachments

• DSC04227 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC04227 (1280x960).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC04209 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC04209 (1280x960).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC04179 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC04179 (1280x960).jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC04196 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC04196 (1280x960).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Engine VIN.jpg
    Engine VIN.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC04188 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC04188 (1280x960).jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC04165 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC04165 (1280x960).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC04282 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC04282 (1280x960).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Here are photos of the funky dash emblem placement, the rear end, and the underside of the car.

Attachments

• DSCN5047.jpg
    DSCN5047.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Underside.jpg
    Underside.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN6326.jpg
    DSCN6326.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 100
  • WindowSticker.jpg
    WindowSticker.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

robert campbell

I had the honor of tuning on this car and had the pleasure to drive it. The 5 speed worked flawlessly and engine runs very strong. It is one of the finest cars I have driven in a long time. Going up an on ramp to the freeway under mild power was music to my ears! Gear spacing was perfect and the 5th gear makes this car a great cruiser!

I had it on my lift and the car is solid. Arlie has great attention to detail and this car shows it. I would recommend it to anyone. At $25k it is a good value in my mind. Certainly we all think we can get one cheaper, but unless you are a restoration guy and can paint, you soon are at this price with a car with far less options.

Rob

Cool Manchu

I don't think you are out of line thinking that the car would command $25k. If I had the money (and wasn't trying to bring mine back on the road), I would be all over it!

It's a real beauty.

68CaliSp

Arlie this is the J code you purchased around the time that you bought mine, right? Impressive turn around for that car from what I can remember! :thumb:

If I didn't have money sunk into a bass boat I would be thinking hard on this one! Good luck with her! Maybe if you still have her come spring and things work out well for me in finding a new job, we'll be talking business. :grin:

whodat

I drove this car and was really impressed by it. I was wishing my car could ride as smooth as this one does.

sportyworty

A true GT small block Cal Special is a very rare find. Think we figured at one point that less than 10% of production are GT cars. When you take out the S X and R codes that percentage likely drops dramatically for the J codes. Looks like a reasonably priced car to me as well. Wish it was White with a stick. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Arlie this is the J code you purchased around the time that you bought mine, right? Impressive turn around for that car from what I can remember! :thumb:

If I didn't have money sunk into a bass boat I would be thinking hard on this one! Good luck with her! Maybe if you still have her come spring and things work out well for me in finding a new job, we'll be talking business. :grin:
Cam,
Yes, it's the same car!

It had one of the ugliest engine bays I'd ever seen, the transmission whined and finding the proper gear was nearly impossible, the inside of the engine looked like the last oil change was in the 90s, and the hood was a complete disaster with peeling clear-coat and the wrong pins, but it was a solid, fairly rust-free car so I threw a low number at the seller. He rejected it but a couple months later, after I had bought your aqua car, and still had the Road Warrior, he called and accepted my offer.

That was certainly a good news / bad news moment, hence the photo of all 3 cars in the driveway!!!

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Well, I'm getting this car back around the middle of March, so it's officially for sale.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Well, I'm getting this car back around the middle of March, so it's officially for sale.

That said, it's back in my garage and damn it looks good so I'm leaning towards tweaking it a bit and driving it through the Spring and Summer. Since I built it as a road trip car I may need to take a few trips; maybe to the Bellevue and Colorado shows, and to my projects in Yakima, Portland, and Grand Junction.

Attachments

• DSC03644 (1000x750).jpg
    DSC03644 (1000x750).jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC03645 (1000x750).jpg
    DSC03645 (1000x750).jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC03643 (1000x701).jpg
    DSC03643 (1000x701).jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

rvrtrash

I was wondering if it came back yet, and yes, it is looking good. Drive it, have fun, and then decide what you want to do. Once it's gone, you won't be able to get it back. As you know, I've been thinking of selling mine, but want to drive it through the summer before making a final decision.

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I was wondering if it came back yet, and yes, it is looking good. Drive it, have fun, and then decide what you want to do. Once it's gone, you won't be able to get it back. As you know, I've been thinking of selling mine, but want to drive it through the summer before making a final decision.

Steve

2-car convoy to Bellevue??!!!
Steve, did you get my e-mail about the power steering?

rvrtrash

2-car convoy to Bellevue??!!!
Steve, did you get my e-mail about the power steering?

Convoy sounds good. My only question is "Is there brisket and beer at the end of the trail?"

Just replied on the power steering question.

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

OK, I've had my fun, and this two-car garage thing just isn't working out, so the car is officially for sale. I hope to get the new AC charged this week or next.
The power steering is back on the car and works well, and I found the 8-track I purchased on eBay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Here is a list of the parts I replaced on the car.

Attachments

• J-Code Parts.pdf
    10.7 KB · Views: 50