• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Another Seat Cover / Headrest question

Tequila

I searched the online forums for an answer but did not have much luck, hence the post here.

I had my seat covers re-upholstered couple of years back with the standard seat cover. Now I am in the process of upgrading the interior to Deluxe and also adding a 69 headrest.

In looking at NPD and other sites they sell 2 versions of the seat covers. Standard/Deluxe and Comfort Weave seat cover. Are the deluxe and standard seat covers different? Was the comfort weave an option or did some deluxe interior cars come with it standard option?

Also, is there a different seat cover when adding the headrest? I guess I could slit it to add the headrest but worried about it tearing around the notch for the headrest. Or do folks that added a headrest just use the 69 seat covers?

Last but not least, did the 68 cars have button stitched on to the seat covers?

Appreciate any suggestions or insights. Thanks.

franklinair

IIRC,
'68 & '69 low back front seats are the same.
The Deluxe & Standard interior used the same upholstery.
Comfort Weave was a separate option.
The Deluxe seat backs have 2 vertical decorative bars, secured with clips.
The photos show my '69 seat backs with standard upholstery & '69 Headrests.

Marty Rupp would know for sure.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks Neil. This is very helpful. Appreciate the info.

By the ways, those seats look great!!!

Reggi

Mosesatm

The seat back frames are different so adding ‘69 headrests to ‘68 seats is difficult.

rvrtrash

'69 seat frames.

Steve

Attachments

• seat1.jpg
    seat1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 47

franklinair

Arlie's observation is correct.
'68 seats use the headrests with the 2 shaft sliders. '69's have the single, broad slider.
Either seatback can be modified to utilize headrests for the year (68 or 69).
I was fortunate to find '69 seatbacks & headrests shown in the photo.
'69 headrests are a better design & quality (IMHO) but would be incorrect for '68 Concourse judging.

Neil

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Oh wow.. I knew 68 headrest were different and very rare but didn't know the frame was different. If I get the single piece slider, would I be able to bolt on to the 68 frame?

I was originally going the concours route but scrapped the idea with my engine fiasco.

Thanks everyone for the valuable info.

franklinair

Tequila:
The seatback frames are the same. The receptacles for the 'slides' are different due to the difference of the headrests ('68 2 rods, '69 1 broad slide). Welding is required in either case.
If you're not going Concourse, the '69 is the better choice.

Neil

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks everyone for the info on the seats. I will attempt it along with the person helping me with the upholstery.

Re: Dalorzo. I just searched on his name and shocked to hear about his passing. He was extremely helpful and he had PM'd with a lot of helpful info in the past. RIP.

whodat

I have a complete set of black 68 headrest for sale if anyone is interested. Pm me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosesatm

‘69 covers are available but it’s my understanding that they won’t fit on ‘68 headrests.

whodat

Buy 68 covers from TMI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk