• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Bumper Guards

Jester

Since I just learned (from the great bunch of people of this community) there are a few things that needs to be corrected when it comes my Lucas lights, the grille and grille sorround, I am planning to make a restoration of the entire front of my car. Starting to plan for it I thought about adding bumper guards (back and front) as I sometimes feel the car looks undressed below the belt. :wink: Before I get overexcited I'd like to undertand a little more about it though. Tried to search the forum but very little was mentioned here.

I understand the bumper guards came as an option in 68. But was it only part of a specifick option package or was it an option in itself? If it came with a certain package, which was it? The rear guards I've seen on cars both painted in body color and chrome, was this an option as well or are one of these later days changes? Also I read a thread on this site were Mike Jewel mentioned the rear bumper guards are more tricky to install than the front ones and I just want to understand in which way. Does it need drilling or in anyway doing changes that is irreversible to the car? if so I am not interested in going this way since the car is a matching numbers car which I easily want to be able to return to original.

franklinair

I too like the bumper guards (some folks don't). As I recall, the rear bumper guards were painted body color, with a small rubber strip on it. I now see them advertised as all chrome as an alternative. The front bumper guards were all chrome. I intend to put them on my CS, as I like the look also.
I don't recall any big deal in installing them. (Bolts & 'J' clips) When I get my current project back from the paint shop I'll take some photos if no one else has added them to your inquiry. Seems all parts are available. I've seen them in NPD's catalog, and there's always E-Bay.

Neil

stangfan

I've had two 67 cars and two 68s, one of which is the GT/CS. All four had chrome bumper guards on the front and painted ones on the back with the rubber strip. I agree with Neil in that I believe the chrome rear ones are an aftermarket item.

I understand that the GT/CS cars mostly did not have the bumper guards originally. Not sure why some did and some didn't. Mine does, and I like the look. :grin:

Ruppstang

Pre strike 68's had front and rear ( painted) bumper guards. Post strike they became part of a option package that included wheel opening moldings. That is why most GTCS and HCS do not have them. You do need to drill holes in the rear valance to add the rear bumperetts.
Marty

dalorzo_f

IMHO the chrome fronts kinda defeat the intent of the blackout no-badge front grille...

Agree on the pre/post strike issue and that the rears were originaly painted and chrome is after market.

stangfan

Pre strike 68's had front and rear ( painted) bumper guards. Post strike they became part of a option package that included wheel opening moldings. That is why most GTCS and HCS do not have them. You do need to drill holes in the rear valance to add the rear bumperetts.
Marty

Well that does clarify things. Thank you! :grin:

OP
OP
J

Jester

Mine is built in July and has wheel opening moldings but no bumper guards so I think they not always came together unless they ahve been removed. If the drilling is only effecting the rear valance it would be Ok for me to go that way since right now I have a GT rear valence installed which did not come original with the car. No drilling anywhere else? Neil, if you find the time to post some photos it would be great so I know before buying. Marty, any idea of that package had a specific name and what more it might have included so I can verify if I have more parts added on my car from that package. Thanks.

OP
OP
J

Jester

I know. But since I have no such options specified I have no clue what the name of such an option package would be (if it was a package) or if it just would state Bumper guards, wheel opening moldings etc as separate items.

OP
OP
J

Jester

...or since nothing is stated on the Marti I could conclude that also the wheel opening moldings on my car are aftermarket???