• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

VIN number on 390 engine

twoclassics

Where would you look to find the VIN number on a 390 x code engine to assure the car is numbers matching as advertised

Herck

im not the proper person for this but its on the driver side rear of block u must also check date code to c if it matches your production date within reason i think its within a few months but not shure prior to build date of vehicle but was told some early production engines didnt have vin numbers on block the block could be a c8ae-a or c7me-a or c8ae-c that isall i know

68gt390

[quote author=twoclassics link=board=1;threadid=2010;start=0#msg13343 date=1123614070]
Where would you look to find the VIN number on a 390 x code engine to assure the car is numbers matching as advertised
[/quote]

The following casting #'s were used for 1968 - 390 Before 2-1-68 -- C8AE-6015-A
From 2-1-68 -- C8AE-6015-A or C
You need to be careful trying to identify a block by casting # alone since many engine families used the same casing #'s. As stated earlier it would be located on back rear of the block just above the bell housing area if it was stamped. I've talked to Signature Auto Classics here in Columbus (Rick Parker) and he told me not all VIN's were stamped into the blocks of the San Jose cars. He also mentioned you may find the VIN stamped into the block edge just under the intake manifold.

To give you a good example, my 68 GT 390 Coupe (San Jose) is not stamped but, my 68 GT/CS 390 is. My CS block also has a casting # of C8ME which supposidly is a 428 CJ block for 1968. He also stated you could even have a Casting # for 1967 (C6ME-6015-A or C6AE-6015-E or C7ME-6015-A) depending on your build date. What is even stranger yet, a friend of mine has a 68 GT 390 Coupe and when we rebuilt his block we were unable to find a casting # of any kind. His car was produced in New Jersey. To accurately identify his block we measured the bore size. Also realize many folks use the Casting #'s to say a car is numbers matching. For example many of the "C" code cars once torn down will have a "302" stamped in the oil galley of the engine. Rumor has it that Ford ran out of 289 blocks and started using 302 blocks with 289 2V heads. That has been discussed on this site before. The main thing is don't be discouraged if you are unable to find the VIN stamped into the block. If you have a casting # and your build date is within a few months of the date code on your block - odds are it's your original block that came with the car. Below is a link which will explain some of the unique features associated with the FE engine.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/15999/

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps.

Don ;)

OP
OP
T

twoclassics

thanks Don I figured you would pipe in on this one being a 390 owner. I am pretty sure it is matching but I want to follow thru with all the checks to make sure. Dang Chevy people put the numbers on the block deck so if you had the blocked decked you were in big trouble. It has made for a large disaster trying to figure out what is matching and what is not, Everyone is decking and restamping, the corvete guys are real good at it. Chuck

68gt390

[quote author=twoclassics link=board=1;threadid=2010;start=0#msg13350 date=1123622365]
thanks Don I figured you would pipe in on this one being a 390 owner. I am pretty sure it is matching but I want to follow thru with all the checks to make sure. Dang Chevy people put the numbers on the block deck so if you had the blocked decked you were in big trouble. It has made for a large disaster trying to figure out what is matching and what is not, Everyone is decking and restamping, the corvete guys are real good at it. Chuck
[/quote]

Chuck;
One of the best ways to be sure you've got the correct big block is look on the drivers side front of the block, there you'll see the stamping "352", all FE motors had that stamp. That's at least one check that you can't miss. The only other sure fire way is to measure the bore on the block. Myself, I figured as long as I've got an FE block and the production date is within a few months of my cars build date I'm in the park. It's unfortunate that Ford did so many starange things with these cars. Besides, #'s matching to me is only a "phrase" that folks use to try and pry some more green from your pocket. To me it doesn't mean squat. I can go out and blowup my motor and I'll gaurantee you within a week I'll have another FE block within the build date and it's replaced. Just my thought on #'s matching.

Don ;D

68gt390

Hey Chuck;
In all the post flying back and forth I forget one thing.
Congrats on getting a "Big Block 390". Now you can roll in style and have the horse power to back it up. I'll appoligize in advance to all the small block folks. Yes you can make some horse power to but, not like the Big Block folks. Next step for my CS 390 is a 428 crank, bore .30 over and walla - I've got a 410 and if "Paxton" comes through for me I'll even have a supercharger for her in the next few years. Add those donuts up and see what you get.

Don :eek:

OP
OP
T

twoclassics

Don, Yes I will be all over that 352 thing. I read that link you sent me about the ford blocks, very interesting and great for a crash course. thanks again Chuck

somethingspecial

I just want to add something to Don's comment about bigblocks. Someone once told me, and I have lived by this, "THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTION FOR CUBIC INCHES". There, I said it, and I stand by it. Mike

rvrtrash

[quote author=somethingspecial link=board=1;threadid=2010;start=0#msg13529 date=1124256663]
"THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTION FOR CUBIC INCHES". There, I said it, and I stand by it. Mike
[/quote]

Not to quibble, but the phrase us old timer racers used was "There's no replacement for displacement" . OK, schools out. Everyone go back to what they were doing. ;D
Steve

OP
OP
T

twoclassics

And all that displacement did 1 thing, there was a little rubber flyin in 2 gear, oh yea

68gt390

Steve;
That's exactly what I was trying to remember this morning. Been so long since I heard that I forgot all about it. Kinda makes your heart feel good.

Don ;D

rvrtrash

With all that being said, I don't think it necessarily still applies. My oldest son just sold his 4 cyl, turbo charged, intercooled Dodge Rampage (of all things) that would turn 12.5 sec. quarters. Had to run 20# of boost to do it, but it worked.
Steve

68gt390

Steve;
Let's see, give me a big block and 20lbs of boost and I think I would do better than 12.5. As a matter of fact I'd almost be willing to say I'd be somewhere around low 10's or even high 9's. A friend of mine is running a 460 big block in his Fox body car and he's turning in the high 8's and low 9's. You still can't do the same thing without a big block. Of course you have to remember I come from the old school. Granted I've seen some pretty impressive as I call them "rice burners" out there but, it's the old adage, to each his own.

Don ;D

rvrtrash

Point taken! I was just thinking in terms of a standard V-8 against a turbo'd 4 or 6 being about equal, but if you compare apples to apples, the bigger engine will prevail. ;)
Steve

Mosesatm

It sort of depends on where you want your power. My V6 will dust most 289s and 302s but it's pretty much a dog until it reaches 3000rpm. Most small engines are like that. If you want low end grunt nothing beats cubic inches.