• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Steering column install need help!

dbeal

I was putting in the steering column into my 'special yesterday and have a problem. The bracket I got with the column doesn't seem to fit correctly. It appears to have a dimple that should fit into some kind of slot to hold the column in place, but no matter which way I try to install it it, the dimple will not fit in any slot in the bottom of the column. Does it just rest on the column, or do I have the wrong bracket?

by the way the car didn't come with one that was mounted, and didn't have the bracket.. thats why i'm asking..

Thanks

Darrell

Perkchiro

Not sure if I understand the problem you are describing. Have you replaced the rag joint that joins the steering shaft to the steering box? This is a replacement kit that can be ordered from a mustang parts supplier. While you're at it, I'd replace the firewall seal too. Hope this helps.

Steve

Mosesatm

How the bracket goes on is not how you think it should go on. I swore at mine for a few hours before I finally just laid there and studied it. It needs to go either forward or rearward more than it looks like it should. I'll see if I have a photo for you.

Mosesatm

Mosesatm said:
How the bracket goes on is not how you think it should go on. I swore at mine for a few hours before I finally just laid there and studied it. It needs to go either forward or rearward more than it looks like it should. I'll see if I have a photo for you.

This is the only picture I could find. Maybe it will help.

Last edited:

nfrntau

Here are three photos with the column out of the car. If you wish a different angle just let me know.
If this isn't what you are looking for my column is out of the car and easy to get to.
Good luck and remember Patience - Patience - Patience
and uhhhhh more Patience.

Attachments

• P4041391.JPG
    P4041391.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 27
  • P4041392.JPG
    P4041392.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 27
  • P4041394.JPG
    P4041394.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 27

Mosesatm

That's right. Believe it or not I was trying to use the wrong bolts. The bracket needs to be moved one bolt hole one way or the other from where it looks like it should go.

somethingspecial

68 tilt column needed

Since we're on the subject, anyone have all the guts, or a complete tilt coloumn available. Mine was stripped of all the guts that make it work years before my first purchase of the car. Need one, SOON. Mike

OP
OP
D

dbeal

Well crud...it looks like by the pictures I am missing a part or two..grrrrrr..looks like I need to hit the local used mustang parts guy.

Darrell

OP
OP
D

dbeal

on Second thought does anyone have these parts as extras??

Attachments

• P4041392.JPG
    P4041392.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 29

PFSlim

I used to have an extra set but sent the whole thing to a swap meet last year so I could reduce inventory. Sorry. What is pictured there is what you want and the way it should look when placed in the car. Be sure to keep the brackets loose when installing until you get the rag joint hooked into the steering box. Once that is in place, then tighten the bolts on the bracket.

As well, make sure your front wheels are straight and align your steering wheel before you connect to rag joint. This will save you a step. After you work hard and install everything, you go back and look and find that your steering wheel is not straight and have to start all over again.

Paul

BroadwayBlue

I 2nd what Arlie said.

When we installed my Flaming River tilt wheel, getting the bracket back on seemed to be the toughest part of the whole installation.
It took some time to figure out but finally it all worked out.

I have my original column out of the car too if additional pics are needed.

OP
OP
D

dbeal

Any addtional pics would be greatly appreciated.. I have the wheels centered, and the rag joint attached. no steering wheel yet..this is the proverbial one piece at a time car..I got it as a bare shell...

Mustanglvr

Speaking of tilt steering wheels, mine has the chrome cover off and so the "guts" are exposed. Will I have to take the whole wheel part off to put that back on? Also, there are two hooks, one on top and one on bottom in with the "guts" and only one at a time will catch in a notch when tilting the wheel. Not both at the same time. How can that be fixed? The steering turns ok. I drive it that way.

OP
OP
D

dbeal

Well Crap!!!! I was back to work on the car and I still can't get the darn thing mounged up..I can't get the bracket to mount right..I figured it was supposed to bolt to the studs hanging down, but does it also bolt up to the front of the pedal support (where the pedal support bolts to the front of the dash)?..If so then the bracket will not fit into the slots in the steering column..This is really starting to irritate me...

OP
OP
D

dbeal

One other thing..are the 67 and 68 brackets (the one that is painted the dash color) the same?

PFSlim

I don't know if the 67 and 68 brackets are the same. But I do know that you have one bracket that bolts to the firewall (it takes 4 bolts). Then the steering column is bolted under the dash. I don't have my camera at my office today even though I have the GT/CS here. I will try to remember to bring back the camera after lunch and post all pictures of my steering column and brackets.

Paul

OP
OP
D

dbeal

Thanks! I would appreciate the pictures..That is probably the only way this is going to work. I ended up getting so frustrated I pulled the column, the pulled the master cylinder, and brake booster, and pulled out the pedal support. I'm definately looking forward to those pics. I guess this is one of the drawbacks of working with only a shell, and a "1 piece at a time" car.

PFSlim

Here are a couple of pictures. The first picture is of the firewall flange. The second is the bracket to the dash.

My camera is here. Let me know if I can provide more pics for you.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC01264.JPG
    DSC01264.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01265.JPG
    DSC01265.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 25