• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Green Hornet Conversion?

mmillstx

Guys,
I just wanted to know the best place (most cost effective place to get the hood and nose pieces to convert my Cal Special to a green hornet. Maybe one of y'all could also advise on paint code specs. I have a gt/cs that I bought a few yaers ago and had been pondering what to do with her. You don't find many down here in Houston. She is a 289 code car, but has a 390 in it. Ihave most of the mechanical side handled, so the body is next. I figure since she is "the poor man's Shelby", why not go ahead and have some fun?! 8)

Calspecialdreamer

mmillstx,

Why in the world would you want to do that to a Cal Special? Why not get a regular coupe and do it! Tons of those around! Just my opinion......

StraightSix

First of all let me say welcome to the boards! I live in Houston, too!

Are you really REALLY sure you want to turn an authentic GT/CS into a clone of the Green Hornet? You realize that this will destroy the resale value, right?

If so, then have at it! If you do it right, it'll be very sharp-looking and actually have some GT/CS authenticity behind it. Paul's 1996 Registry details the Green Hornet... I'll dig up what I can this weekend (unless someone else cares to post specifics in the meantime). I think that the paint was Highland Green, but I don't know for sure offhand. It might have been a special mix.

-Winston

I also am planning on making a "Green Hornet"-type clone, but I'm sticking with my original color, which is Alcapulco Blue. I totally disagree that adding a few pieces of fiberglass destroys the resale/inherent value of the car! All one is doing is simply replacing a few front end pieces with fiberglass parts--correct me if I'm wrong, but no single original part has to be altered or destroyed to do this conversion, right? So I put my nose pieces (fender extesions, valance, bumper, etc.) and hood in the attic for safe-keeping, and when/if the car gets sold, I can either replace the stock parts or sell them along with the car as is.

I think we get too caught up in worrying that there were "only" 4,000+ of these made, blah, blah, blah... Mustangs were made to drive, so drive them and enjoy! Since it's your car, do whatever the heck you want with it! If we worry about these and end up making them into museum pieces, in my opinion, it's no fun anymore. As long as you only modify them in ways that are easily reversed or that increase driver safety, go for it (ie, I don't think adding big fender flares is very cool, and if you want to replace the original motor with something that has a blower, it's a good idea to get a replacement hood to cut a big hole in :eek: )

68sunlitgold

Deadstang,
I think StraightSix was taking the purist view, which is the view of alot of owners, but I do agree, making a car your own is very important. I remember reading in Mustang Monthly about the decision to trailer or drive a car to shows. They asked the question "how many model T's do you see on the road? most are in museums.” If Mustang owners never drive their cars, no one will see them and the younger folks will never get the “mustang fever”. That being said, if modifying a car will get it on the road and noticed, then go for it!! You are right to save the parts if you ever chose to go back to original.

I however am with StraightSix, only because I too am a purist in keeping the car original, but that is my view and would never stop someone from making their car something they take pride in driving. I in fact would love to see it finished, especially a different color other than green. Good luck in whatever course you take.

Doug

StraightSix

I'm all for him turning the car into what he wants it to be! I just wanted to let him know that if he chose to sell it as a Green Hornet clone, it would be worth less money than if it were original. Maybe "destroy" was too strong of a word, but I'm protective of the Cal Specials :) I realize that all of the fiberglass is easily reversible, but green paint isn't ;) I'm all for the idea of another color Hornet!

That being said, the '68 Shelby fiberglass is about the best looking front-end treatment ever, in my opinion.

-Winston