• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Bumper Guards

6t8-390gt

I recently had a MCA Judge tell me that my car should have the front bumper guards on the car. When I bought my car (GT Fastback) in 1981 it did not have bumper guards on the front or rear. I was planning on putting both front and rear guards on my car until I discovered the rear taillight panel and rear valance needed to be drilled to facilitate the installation. My rear valance and taillight panel are original and have had no holes or repairs. I then concluded the car did not have the bumper guards and left them off. The last show I attended I was told ALL 68's had front guards. The re-print of the assembly manual says RPO for both front and rear.

Also if your car has the original fuel hose under the drivers floor... do you have spring clamps or #2 whitteks?

Thanks in advance!

Mosesatm

I thought the bumper guards were a casualty of the strike's cost cutting measures

Mustanglvr

Mosesatm said:
I thought the bumper guards were a casualty of the strike's cost cutting measures

Yes, I would say it depends on when it was built.

BroadwayBlue

I thought it was a strike casualty as well. I have mine in a box, not mounted.

Here is what the MCA judging rules indicate:

I. Bumpers, Guards, Bolts and Brackets: Proper style and chrome finish, mounted in original position. Gas splash guard required between body and rear bumper. Models with rear bumper guards - painted body color. All bumper brackets, black. Must have rubber grommet in bumper guard between guard and body or rubber strip with built-in grommet..............................................5
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness.........................................................................................4

They mention "Models with rear bumper guards". Did some models have front only? Did not all models (fastback, convertible, coupe) have them?

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

After Arlie reminded me of the strike I pulled the assembly manual out. The illistration of the front bumper guards have a revision date of 11-27-67 and states "Effective with CZW1-PF-516381- Items 8, "K", "L", "M", and "N" now (R.P.O.). The referenced items are the front guards and attaching hardware. The rear bumper illustration is not revised.

Since my car was built 3/68 I am going to leave them off both front and rear. I also have a 12/67 Coupe WITH front and rear guards, and a 4/68 Convertable WITHOUT bumper guards, all cars were built in San Jose.

P

PNewitt

This is why MCA needs to check these things out.

If your Mustang was later in production, then it DID NOT have bumper guards.

The '67 strike settlement to the workers meant thaat items were deleted off the cars. Things like the interior pads on the dash, and the bumper guards, and even the deletion of the louvered hood as a standard item (for non-GT/CS Mustangs).

You can't take the Ford notes and cite them as "gospel", and rules committees do this to avoid conflicts--which they should research in detail.

The rear ones were the first to go. Then the fronts.

Paul Newitt

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

I think the MCA does an excellent job, there are alot of models, a couple factories, numerous venders, strikes, the human element....

I take what ANYONE tells me with a grain of salt. I look at all the reference material available, including this site, and try to determine to MY satisfaction how my car will be done. Each time I get judged by the MCA I request my judging sheet, from that I decide what if anything I will address or fix.

I appreciate EVERYONES input and actually asked this particular person to "pick my car apart" based on his knowledge. He pointed out 15-20 things and this is the only one I questioned. Some things I've elected not to change for one reason or another.

I also agree Ford Assembly manuals and club rules are not the gospel for the above listed reasons. I recently observed a mid-year 68 with a different clip on the left and right. One clip was a "67" clip and the other a "68" clip. I know it was original, but convince a judge! I think the judges take more of this into consideration now than they did in years past.

Thanks Again for the input.

P

PNewitt

I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is not rocket science.

Clubs like MCA have had since about 1985 to get this right. There needs to be some sort of ongoing database of production changes, and collective knowledge available to not only the judges, but to owners.

However--Like ALL hobbies, those who have the knowledge don't like sharing it with others--so that they may win at shows.

MCA didn't know about the padded dash changes, or the rear reflector change date in Feb., until my first book came out--and that was 1989!

Some folks would change out parts "wrong", even though they were from the factory like that--yet only a few would stand their ground with the judge.

I plan on having a long conversation with Jeff Speegle (hi Jeff!), about all the details of what is what (for the book). He's done an excellent job documenting these things for years for not only the Mustangs, but for the Shelbys, too. Ongoing restorations of a few Cs cars out there are providing "archeological" information for my book, too.

Paul.

J_Speegle

Hi Paul ;)

"Clubs like MCA have had since about 1985 to get this right. There needs to be some sort of ongoing database of production changes, and collective knowledge available to not only the judges, but to owners."

Not sure why it's anyone organizations responsibilities, lots of individuals with knowledge and the freedom to do something (maybe never the time or dollars though with the internet the possibilities have increased a thousand fold). There is no database or information that has been collected that has only been shared with the judges to my knowledge.

"However--Like ALL hobbies, those who have the knowledge don't like sharing it with others--so that they may win at shows."

This can sometimes be the case with businesses as they have invest the dollars and time to put together what it takes to win and that is why people take their cars to those places. From my experience I would say that at least 90% fail at any sort of guarantee of producing the win on a regular basis

There is allot of dicussion (among many I know) about how to share the information we know. With all the different years, plants and changes it appears not an easy tasks. Some have taken on the task of focusing on a particular year and or model as this site is an example of. But I would remind all that as humans it always seems that we want to point out the couple of things wrong in a registry, book or site rather than offering to set it straight ... tackfully

"MCA didn't know about the padded dash changes, or the rear reflector change date in Feb., until my first book came out--and that was 1989!"

We can all agree that the production differences related to San Jose have been overlooked, erased by earlier restorations and lack of exposure. As far as MCA is concerned it’s always harder to change the direction of a big ship compared to a smaller one. Case in point we have finally changed the rules so that San Jose cars should have their front shock upper mounts painted semi-gloss black as they were (unlike the phosphate and oil of the 67-up Dearborn and NJ cars) Progress is always slower than you would want

"Some folks would change out parts "wrong", even though they were from the factory like that--yet only a few would stand their ground with the judge."

Sometimes standing ground does not work on the show ground as the owner is always seen to have something to gain in the exchange. Instead MCA is the only car club I'm aware of that allows any member (non-judges are always welcome) to attend the judges meeting and have input. be polite, have your facts and documentation and discuss the changes you think will benefit the club.

"I plan on having a long conversation with Jeff Speegle (hi Jeff!), about all the details of what is what (for the book). He's done an excellent job documenting these things for years for not only the Mustangs, but for the Shelbys, too........."

Your very kind and I guess I'm just a little stubborn at times. You still in the area? I've got time if you do.

"I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is not rocket science."

Your right ... .I think rocket science would be easier much of the time... at least most of the theories and principles are written in a book. Those there are always those guys from the other place saying their all wrong ;)

Stopping now.... way to many words fingers and head..... tired

GTCSMustang

I agree. The Corvette guys seem to have all these kinds of things figured out. Just seems like the Mustangers haven't invested the time in documenting variances and differences. As far as the gas line goes, I have seen both types of clamps on cars. Both are correct. I have 6-original 1968 Mustangs right now. 4-have the spring clamps, and 2-have the screw clamps. Of the San Jose cars, 2-are screw clamps and 1-has the spring clamp. What did the judge tell you was correct for your car? And, by-the-way, this isn't as hard as rocket science. I'm a rocket scientist. I do internal rocket motor ballistics for tactical solid propellant rocket motors and also work in supersonic and hypersonic airbreathing (not rocket science) propulsion...ramjets, scramjets, variable flow ducted rockets, dual combusion ramjets, etc.

Scott

390cs68rcode

I do internal rocket motor ballistics for tactical solid propellant rocket motors and also work in supersonic and hypersonic airbreathing (not rocket science) propulsion...ramjets, scramjets, variable flow ducted rockets, dual combusion ramjets, etc.

That sure is a mouthful.

I agree rocket science is easy.

P

PNewitt

Hi Jeff,

(uh-oh!)
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I have a bit of passion about this, because of past experiences--as well as hearing about GT/CS owner frustration(s) at MCA shows.

There is no question that you are the "point man" for not only the key to MCA judging, but for what is what on the San Jose cars. I highly respect your thoughts and opinions on this matter.

We'll talk soon. I wish to take advantage of this information on the SJ cars for my revised GT/CS book. I'll have photos and diagrams with color codes, etc.

I want to help the good folks with their GT/CS to get it right.

Thanks again!

Paul :)

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Jeff,
Welcome to this sight. I read your posts on the VMF and find them informative. I came to this sight because I was restoring a San Jose built fastback and references on the East Coast were slim to none. I agree with alot of what you say regarding people restoring their cars to ones they have seen at cars shows. I noticed this trend a number of years ago, now my research is done in wrecking yards with original unrestored cars. Hope you stay aboard here and share some of your knowledge.

Paul, thanks for the registries and the information you have shared for so long.

To everyone one else on the site who has responded to my posts and answered questions, thanks.

J_Speegle

Scott wrote
" The Corvette guys seem to have all these kinds of things figured out. "

I would offer that their job has been allot easier since they only have one plant to focus on, less body styles, less engine choices and there has been allot more focus on high level restorations. Corvettes were pretty special from the day they were built in most people's eyes while we are taking wahat was a fairly inexpensive mass produced family car built by the multi millions..

Not allot of people are looking to be labels.... detail freak, owner of a trailer queen or show geek (to name a few) and that can always effect the number of people who might get involved with the search for the details.

Oh well

somethingspecial

Some might call me a detail freek, Obsessed, hell I'll just call it as it is, I'M ANAL about this car. If I am not sure, work stops until I AM SURE!!!!!
I want it better than factory, because I am seeing some really wierd stuff from the factory. Poor workmanship, and mix-match. Progress is looking good. Hope to go to paint in a couple of weeks, and assembly from there. Mike

GTCSMustang

I have a "1968 Ford Catalog Revisions" sheet that was sent to dealers to show revisions to cars that were different than the August 1967 catalogs. It is dated 12-12-67 and says that front and rear bumper guards (which were standard equipment) would now be optional and offered in combination with wheel lip moulding.

Scott

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Scott,
Could you fax or e-mail a copt of that to me? I would love to have a copy if it were to ever come into question in the future. Thanks.

Danny

OP
OP
6t8-390gt

6t8-390gt

Jeff,
Do you have any knowledge of the front suspension pieces being "blacked out" on San Jose cars. My car had ALL of the original suspension when I purchased the car in 1981, most of it remains on the car today. I restored it to "natural" conditions. I am convinced it was blacked out, it was poorly done and not covered 100% (difficult to remove too!).

nfrntau

My GT/CS was built on 3-8-68. It had chrome front bumper guards, painted rear bumper guards with rubber inserts and no chrome trim around the wheel wells.