• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

AOD Conversion

joedls

Anyone here done an AOD conversion on their GT/CS? If so, do you know of anyone selling a kit with all the conversion parts?

Jayscal

Put a Gear Vendors unit behind your C4 three-speed automatic and you’ve got a car with six forward speeds and two in reverse. I don't know the price on these kits, but they work great and use your original transmission.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/38418/

This past summer I ran 3 legs of Hot Rod magazines "Power Tour". I ended up taking my 92 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, cause with a 3 speed auto and 3:55 gears my pony is not happy on the highway. After meeting people with older muscle cars and asking about theiir auto trannies, I found alot of people were running these overdrives with their original trannies. They chose this instead of more modern applications. It was cool to see some real hopped up muscle cars driving 70 MPH near me on the highway, then we would stop at local drag ways, and they would run down the strip with respectable times.

Just a option...

I saw a link to a site about doing a AOD conversion, can't find it now. One of the most important things they stated was getting brackets and misc. from the donor car, to ease the swap. Either way, keep us informed of your progress.

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

My father-in-law has a couple of AODs in very good shape, so I'll probably use on of those. I'm getting ready to do some major work on my GT/CS and the AOD is part of it. I'm looking to do a cam swap, aluminum heads (leaning towards Trick Flow Twisted Wedge) and lower rear-end gears (probably 3.50 and limited slip diff), and Doug's headers with 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust. Should be fun when I'm done. Maybe I can give David a run for his money after I'm done? :grin: :grin:

Last edited:

390cs68rcode

joedls said:
Thanks Jason. I'll call them tomorrow. Do you remember what all is included in their kit?

too long ago and too many cars ago to remember.

I do remember that we called them up and said what we had and they sent a great care package with everything we needed.