• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

SOLD 1968 CS J code

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassman2

This should be a great project for someone, I've lost motivation!

I bought 2 '68 California specials in the span of a month in 2009. I tore one down completely, put it on a rotisserie, and started work....a lot of work. It's been "almost done" for a year!

The "good optioned" one, I let sit in my heated shop so I could use it as a reference. Now it's time to say goodbye.

Of course, this is a 1968 California Special, J code. I bought the car out of Grants Pass Oregon and drove it North on I-5 to Camas WA, in August, with absolutely no problems other than brake drift and steering slop. It ran very strong.

The Good:

With a little work, a guy or gal could make this a drivable project pretty easily.

It is a California Special. An old "restoration" had me concerned about it being a fake before I bought it. Hidden Vin confirms as does all the rest of evidence.

I have a Marty Report. Car has great options, PS, PB, AC and of course the 302.

It ran great before I parked it.

I have some parts that can be negotiated - including a correct black steering wheel, new gas tank, and new badging etc.. (I have a lot of stuff because I bought 2x since I was restoring my C code)

I removed carpet to determine floor pan rust - floor pan is solid and I wouldn't replace it. (I put in a new drivers pan in my other CS) In fact, the entire car looks pretty good from a rust standpoint.

The bad:

It needs a good restoration. It's sat for 5 years (inside, heated) and only been started a few times since. It won't start right now - but I haven't tried to hard either!!!

Original color was sunlit gold / nugget gold interior. Photos make the paint look better than it is. It is a 20+ footer at best. Really needs a restoration. There is evidence of bodywork / paint cracking. I removed some parts for inspection and haven't replaced.

It needs suspension work as most older cars need.

AC doesn't work.

Needs interior replaced. Photos tell the story.

Contact me here for info. Asking $10,900 OBO.

IMG_0827_zps3aec3e96.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0826_zps4a61636b.jpg

mymartireport.gif

IMG_0787.jpg

OP
OP
B

bassman2

IMG_1654_zps43adc1b7.jpg

I was just now able to find the Gallery feature and have placed the marti report picture in my gallery.

Bassman2 1968 CS J Code 302 4v is the gallery name

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bassman2

Please delete this post - Or please link my gallery photo here if possible!!!

Last edited:

RanzCS

Hello Bassman2, I have been looking for an original '68 to add to our stable with my '08. Plan to drive one while the other is under construction. I have a couple of questions- So when you say "needs interior" does it need it redone or would you need a complete interior to restore the car? There is nothing inside the car in your picture; i.e. seats, etc. Is the 302 that's in it the original engine? What else do you have for parts to include? None of the pics show the front, or back.. fog lights intact? All other CS badging complete? I know, a lot of Q's but I live in IL, and probably will have to make a decision just based on your pictures. Thanks! RanzCS

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Sorry the ad isn't very clear. If you have specific picture requests, let me know. My shop is about 4 miles from my house so I can't instantly go snap a pic, but I'll get it done in a day.

I have all of the interior pieces - seats just need upholstery and interior is Nugget Gold color. The engine is numbers matching and correct. All mechanical stuff is numbers matching for the car. Foglights and all the other "special" items are intact.

The pics inside are meant to show the condition of the floor boards. I took a screw driver to test any areas that showed rust. No area is rusted through! (unlike my C code). And unlike my C code, the engine compartment is good. I couldn't find any major rust areas. There is evidence of previous body work and my suspicion that a door was replaced at some time.

Parts: One of the original side scoops attachment point (bolt area) was damaged. I ordered replacements incase I couldn't fix well enough. I think ONE of the Cal special badges was broke in half, and I've got replacements. I have a BLACK correct 68 steering wheel.

Since I have 2 cars, and sold my 68 GT500 already, I have lots of miscellaneous parts I'll have to categorize. I still need some for my C Code. I know I have extra GT wheel centers and rings, bolt packages from CJPony Parts, and a lot of other stuff.

IMG_0788_zpse3c4af97.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0819_zps6c5070be.jpg

RanzCS

Contact Info

Hello Bassman 2, thanks for the add'l info and pictures. Can you give me some contact

OP
OP
B

bassman2

I have some additional pictures if anyone is interested. Still forgot to check odometer, but I know its been turned over.

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Yes the car is still for sale - I just renewed my craigslist post as well.

Can't believe it hasn't sold - the first person that actually looks at the car in person will buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.