• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Roof Console and Headliner qn

Tequila

Hello, I have a question. I am planning on adding an overhead console to my 68 CS/GT and wondering what type of headliner material I could use in conjunction with the overhead console. Or do we people install the overhead console on top of the headliner material? If so, what do you do with the bracing bars holding the headliner in place?

My car didn't come with the console but I found a nearly new one on ebay. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
RT

CougarCJ

Not sure if you can install the over head console brackets without completely removing the headliner. As far as I know, you would use the same headliner material with our without over head console.

Did you get an over head console for a coupe? Fastback O-H consoles are different.

Mosesatm

It's not easy but it is possible to install a console without removing the headliner. One of the magazines ran a how-to on that a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

It may be in the July 2004 Mustang Monthly.

Last edited:

68 special

I did it on mine with the help of the article Arlie is talking about. Just be careful when you make the slit in the headliner. I made mine about 3/4" too long. hard to see, but I know it's there.

Bret

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks 'all. I found the article and hopefully I can make it work. The console is for a coupe so it should fit ok.