• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Additional Engine Cooling when Adding AC

Mosesatm

I'm going to add Vintage Air AC to my non-AC J-code and am going to switch to the stock larger AC car radiator at the same time.

What all is required for such a radiator switch? I want to keep it as stock as possible.

I know I'll need:
Top saddle
Bottom saddles
6-blade fan
Shroud - not stock but just for good measure
Are the fan spacers the same?
Anything else?

Thanks

franklinair

I installed the larger (correct) radiator for A/C cars NPD 8005-1F, and the upper & lower bracketry. The brackets don't fit worth a hoot-especially the lowers- you'll have to work on those. Don't forget the rubber insulators for the brackets.
I also installed the fan shroud NPD 8146-3- I believe its correct for an A/C car.
For the fan, I used the thermostatic clutch NPD 8A616-1, fan NPD 8600-7A,and mounting kit NPD 8A616-2K & NPD 8A616-3K.
I had to do the A/C installation as you are going to do, as the PO had it all wrong :-(even though it is a factory A/C car). If I can help, give a shout.
Are you going with the rotary compressor & R-134 freon? If so, you can get a larger condensor (which helps with the less efficient R-134 freon). I got my underhood components from ClassicAir in TPA, FL.

Neil

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I'm comparing Vintage Air, Old Air, and Classic Auto Air.
The kicker is that I have a complete set of '68 AC controls and vents so I want to use them instead of the aftermarket units.
That seems easy enough but systems for non-AC cars come with $400 worth of vents and controls that I don't need or want, and systems for AC cars won't work with the non-AC car firewall holes.
I'm working with all three companies on supplying a system for non-AC cars but with the electronic control conversion for an AC car.

franklinair

I can well understand wanting to use the original air outlets. The original Heater/AC controller you have operates vacuum valves that the new system won't have since the new type control is electrical. You may have to make a tradeoff, using the new type control,panel- but still use the center & passenger outlets. I found with Classic AutoAir, they would credit me with pieces I didn't need/want. That way you should get a discount for the center & passenger outlets.

Neil

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Vintage has electronic thingies that replace the vacuum control. They attach onto the existing control panel.
I'm not sure it the others have similar controls.

On this link scroll down to Ford then click on 474268 Control Panel Conversion.
http://www.vintageair.com/downloads.asp

franklinair

That should give you the best of both worlds, modifying the original control panel. Will they discount/credit the pieces you don't need? (control panel, center & right air outlets)
I'm curious as to what type duct material they supply, since the original type doesn't seem to be available. I've considered using aircraft flex duct material. But it doesn't seem to have the insulation properties of the original ducting, but it would sure allow adequate airflow.
If you Google Aircraft Spruce and search for SCAT hose, you'll see what I mean. Its a red rubbery flex hose. Comes in various diameters.

Neil

Ruppstang

Arlie,
I have the lower rad. mounts a most of the original AC system. I have done cars using only the sandan compressor and 134A. It is easy to knock out the AC cut outs on the firewall. As Neil said I would use the new 6 circut condencer. Marty

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Well, I'll be darned, that is a knockout.
How does one knock it out?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Well, hot dang, that makes life a lot easier.

Thanks guys!

CougarCJ

Air conditioned cars incorporate a water valve on the heat hose.

Cars with factory A/C also used different diameter pulleys and 1 or 2 sheave configurations on the water pump pulley.

Don't forget to remove the block-off plate when changing to the larger radiator.
Arlie, Ford generally installed fan clutches on cars with A/C (prior to 1970). Fan clutches mean no fan spacers.
Fans are designed for use with either clutches or fan spacers.

Mustanger

I'm going to add Vintage Air AC to my non-AC J-code and am going to switch to the stock larger AC car radiator at the same time.

What all is required for such a radiator switch? I want to keep it as stock as possible.

I know I'll need:
Top saddle
Bottom saddles
6-blade fan
Shroud - not stock but just for good measure
Are the fan spacers the same?
Anything else?

Thanks

Arlie,

I added the Classic A/C system to my car (non-ac car), a 24" 4 row brass radiator w/ shroud, and I added a 6-blade fan that was not the clutch type, it was this type:

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/Racing-Fans/

It "looks" factory-like, but w/o the clutch, and is simpler and less expensive (there are pro's and con's to either choice ... one good thing about mine is that it is rated for high rpm's ...).
Also, check around for pricing, I believe Summit Racing may offer these fans at a lower cost, good luck and happy cooling :thumb: ...

green56

adding A/C

If you need any parts for your car i removed the one i had in mine if you need any thing let me know i have a 6 blade fan Idler Assembly Compressor mounting plate And 1 or 2 other items Tom from WI

CougarCJ

I have received the reproduction A/C duct hoses with clamps, along with the slightly shorter hoses for the heater defrost.

Decent quality, and the clamps look like the originals. Made of shinny plastic instead of foam-rubber like the originals.
acductwithclamps2-1028.jpg

My sample has passed scrutiny, and we will be listing them on our catalog very soon.

Ruppstang

With factory A/C, in 1968?

Yes the 67 AC set up used the clutch fan, in 68 Ford went to the flex fan. There possibly were some early 68s that used the clutch fan. This may have not been true on the Cougar line. Forum member Murf has a very original GT-CS that has the flex fan. He has since added a clutch fan. Marty