• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS Big block on Ebay

p51

Oddly enough my research shows they go for a little less money than S code cars, although they are a little more rare. I think his asking price is in line with the value of the car. I'm going to look at it in a couple of weeks. Although he is not certain he still wants to sell. :icon_dead

Here's a thread on that very topic that you might find interesting...
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=18888.0

It looks like...
Code Engine HP Torque Carburetor
X 8-390 280 390 2BC
S 8-390 335 427 4BC

http://www.oldride.com/library/1968_ford_mustang.html

FX4

Yup all that stuff is accurate. I'm real familiar with the FE block motors. I have built a few over the years. My last project was a 65 step side I dropped in a 390. I actually found a 428CJ top end at the wrecking yard out of a station wagon of all things and installed it. Truck ran like a beast. LOL. 9MPG all day long. Did not care what you towed behind it.

FX4

It looks like...
Code Engine HP Torque Carburetor
X 8-390 280 390 2BC
S 8-390 335 427 4BC

http://www.oldride.com/library/1968_ford_mustang.html

I have been researching the X code motors over the last few days. They certainly are not well documented. There were 2 versions of the 2V 390 in 68, one required premium fuel and the other ran regular. 280HP and 265HP for each version. One source cites 270HP for the x code mustangs. I am not able to locate an authoritative source on which motor version was put in the X code mustangs.

I think the real question in my mind is if I bump the power with a 4V or 428 top end will I hurt the value of the car? Doing research it's not clear to me at this point. I did find a guy that did the exact same thing I did with my step side pickup, put a 428 top end in it and the car really woke up. I know my truck was an absolute beast with the 390 bottom end and 428 top end. I spanked an Acura NSX and the guy made me run him again. Spanked him a second time. I just don't want to hurt the value of the car with any modifications to improve performance (assuming the seller and I come to an agreement).

p51

I

I think the real question in my mind is if I bump the power with a 4V or 428 top end will I hurt the value of the car?

IMO, as long as you don't make any mods that not reversible, keep the old parts, and document the health (eg engine compression, etc) of the vehicle before you swap out the top-end you should be ok. If you only need a 4V intake to take it from an X -> S (or are there different heads/cam as well?) it would be a "simple" swap to get it back to original *if* someone ever wanted to do this.

From the little I've read it sorta seems that the X-code was done just to fill in the performance gap between the 302 and 390 S-code.

Here's another discussion about X vs S code from a Cougar site...
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-39813.html

My68GT/CS

Hey everyone, I've finally decided it's time to let go of my 68' X-code. My wife and I've put almost 1000 miles on it over the summer and as much as I'd like to keep it I've found a 67 GT-350 that I can't pass up. If anyone's interested in the car or would like more info shoot me a P.M. email or give me a call. I feel the car's worth $34,500.00.
Happy Motoring
Thanks, Brance

Last edited: