• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rebuilt P/S control valve

Jayscal

I was cleaning out my closet and this unused rebuilt control valve turned up. Purchased from Mustangs unlimited in 2001. Ebay item # 200077777656 $120.00 Buy it now $125.00

This unit was never used, this is the deal of February. Must sell

Midnight Special

...'Looks nice Jay! My PayPal accnt. is a li'l low having just bought a set of
Lucas lights... If you don't sell it @ auction - I will be interested if you still have it next week :)

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

If it doesn't sell this weekend its yours, its only a 3 day auction.

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

Sold

Sorry Tim, I didn't expect it to last long at the price I was asking.

rananim

I just rebuilt mine with a rebuild kit a couple of weeks ago. The shop manual covered everything, and in my opinion was worth doing, just to learn something new. If you make the attempt, be sure to use the lubes they recommend and a torque wrench when tightening the nut on to the scroll bolt. It turned out well and I was finally able to have the car aligned right (no, I didn't attempt that). I recall the kit costing under $70, but you need to get the sleeve (ball stud socket) to go with it - that is the "sacrificial" part that wears out.
Sven

zozobra

My CS has what I would consider sloppy steering. The power steering is certainly working well, a little soft for my taste, and not dripping but the car seems to wander. I find myself correcting all the time. Is rebuilding the control valve the solution?

calspcl

It sounds like the steering box, which is my problem. Too loose, I have tried to adjust it, but does not seam to correct the probelm. Any thoughts from someone who has been down this road?

Midnight Special

It sounds like the steering box, which is my problem. Too loose, I have tried to adjust it, but does not seam to correct the probelm. Any thoughts from someone who has been down this road?

It may well be the control valve... 'Best to get underneath it & have someone cycle the steering while paying close attention to the (ball) shaft connecting the steering (box) arm into the control valve. Look to see how much it slides back & forth in the valve before it moves the mechanism...

Also check the rubber bushings on either side of the PS hydraulic ram. If oil soaked & decayed; they can cause play (and shimmying) too.

Last edited: