• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Ivy gold GT/CS on Ebay

mike in CA

The green one now listed on ebay is a clone. He is advertising it as a real GT/CS even though the Marti report clearly shows the car did not come with the California Special option. Also, if you look close, the grill and foglight mounts are wrong, the interior is really wrong and the hood has been badly cut for the hood locks. I sent a question about these things and the response was to call long distance to discuss the car. He is trying to get full price for a real one and has listed this car many times before. He is a dealer in Nevada and list a whole bunch of over priced cars at a time. After looking closely at the GT/CS, it makes me vary wary about any car he has listed.

Mike

L8GR868

Interesting note on the date and unit number
9/11/68 158987 listed for this car
My Special built 6/20/68 168338
This car should be much higher than mine not lower
Eric

mmarsalone

The green one now listed on ebay is a clone. He is advertising it as a real GT/CS even though the Marti report clearly shows the car did not come with the California Special option.

Mike

Mike, that's not a Marti report, that's the Ford 999 report I think it's called. Now the question is, does that report normally show the CS option. I don't know enough to say either way. I wouldn't assume it's a clone yet. IMO

Mike

GTCSMustang

We talked about this car before when it was for sale. The Ford report is wrong. They weren't making 68 Mustangs in September 1968. Production stopped in July.

Scott

OP
OP
mike in CA

mike in CA

Look at the underside of the hood. Those are not stock holes for the hood locks. The grill and fog light mounts are wrong and the interior is a conglomeration of a white and black interior. I have never seen a white interior with black door pads and black dash pad with wite painted dash. Also, even though it is a ford report and not a Marti report, the CS package was an option, so it should have shown it as an option on any ford documentation, like all the other options. I may be wrong, but it does not feel right to me.
Mike

gtcs1

Look at the underside of the hood. Those are not stock holes for the hood locks. The grill and fog light mounts are wrong and the interior is a conglomeration of a white and black interior. I have never seen a white interior with black door pads and black dash pad with wite painted dash. Also, even though it is a ford report and not a Marti report, the CS package was an option, so it should have shown it as an option on any ford documentation, like all the other options. I may be wrong, but it does not feel right to me.
Mike

Mike,

On my car, I have the Marti and the Ford document. The Ford one I got in march 2007 doesn't list the Calif Special option. The Marti does.

So the Ford document , I believe, is not too sure as to depict a GT/CS car.

Last edited:

franklinair

A Marti Report would be a basic requirement, for verification. I see a lot more 'right' things than wrong. The armrests are a definite error, and I can't see clear enough about the hoodlock cutouts. Looks like a nice car, but a tough sell in today's economy. I'd guess they're looking for mid to high $20's, and I just don't see that happening. The apparent glitches I noticed would be easy fixes.

Neil

pnsy56shop

Ford stopped producing GT/CS in July 68 that car was made September 68 I think it a clone He sure does take nice pictures though

franklinair

Good point. All the more reason for verification when looking to buy a C/S, HCS.

Neil

tomcwarren

Agreed that the Marti is the way to go, and I don't know why this seller has relisted this car so many times w/o it.

However, if you go off of the VIN and ignore the (error-prone) Ford 999 sheet, the 158987 unit # falls between 2 GT/CS in the online registry, produced between April 29th and 30th. If the unit #'s were serialized/consecutive, then that's when this car was built, and it could easily be a real CS.

As to the interior, except for the black armrests, the interior is exactly the same as my Parchment standard interior. Probably just a bad styling choice to use the black armrests, though some may like it. But easily fixed, as Neil states.

The driving lights look like Marchals, an earlier model run option. Most came w/Lucas lights. It may well be that they didn't have the original Lucas lights, and sourced some Marchals instead. Again, not a major fix (if it indeed came w/Lucas originally - I assume so since it has the later rear quarterpanel reflectors [non-inset]).

Mike - not sure why you are so adamant about this being a clone, but you can post a request/email on Ebay to have the seller get/post a Marti if you are interested in buying. This car has been listed/relisted so many times that there may well be some hidden problem with it, or he's just asking too much for it (again, Neil is right on). But I'd say the odds are good that it's an authentic GT/CS.

Tom

CALIF GIRL

The ford 999 sheets are typicaly wrong. I would not count this car out as a true GT/CS yet.

The pink slip shows 6 11 68 as a reg date.

The fog light's are correctly mounted Marchals. (looks just like mine)

The interior changes were obviously done by choice, maybe the person who re did liked the black/white coloring mixture, Easily fixed.

The hood lock holes could be due to a replacement hood.

Mosesatm

The seller told me that he has a Marti report for the car.

Last edited: