• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Taillights help

OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

I’m my case, the wires were flipped on the wiring harness that feeds the taillights, not the one under the dash. They sell a small tool that allows you to remove the pins from the connector and swap locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert campbell

Great thread by all who participated! This is the research that helps so many people by the step by step approach to isolating the problem!!

Rob

Tequila

Thanks Rob. I agree. People on this site are super helpful and a great resource.

The fix that Cesar found worked on my taillight issue as well and working as expected.

Unfortunately the reverse light now stays lit with the ignition on so we are thinking it might be an issue with the neutral safety switch.

robert campbell

The neutral safety switch/backup light switch has a finite adjustment. On your car it is on the transmission where the linkage hooks onto the tranny from the shifter. It has two 1/4 20bolts holding it on and has oval holes for adjustment by turning it.

Jack the car up to gain access and have your lovely wife sit in the car. Does it start in Park? Does it start in neutral? If so it is close. The reverse light maybe on in Park or Neutral. Find out which one lights it up. Then loosen and "nudge" the switch one way or another why your lovely assistant watches the reverse light. It should go out with a small nudge. Tighten just a bit and then try the starter in Neutral and Park. You may lose one or the other.

Hopefully your shifter is in good shape with good bushings and not slopping all over the place. You can do the above under the car with a volt ohm meter also.

Sometimes the switch is just sloppy and bad. Easy to replace.

Rob

Tequila

Thanks Rob. Appreciate the helpful info. We should be troubleshooting it this week.

The neutral safety switch/backup light switch has a finite adjustment. On your car it is on the transmission where the linkage hooks onto the tranny from the shifter. It has two 1/4 20bolts holding it on and has oval holes for adjustment by turning it.

Jack the car up to gain access and have your lovely wife sit in the car. Does it start in Park? Does it start in neutral? If so it is close. The reverse light maybe on in Park or Neutral. Find out which one lights it up. Then loosen and "nudge" the switch one way or another why your lovely assistant watches the reverse light. It should go out with a small nudge. Tighten just a bit and then try the starter in Neutral and Park. You may lose one or the other.

Hopefully your shifter is in good shape with good bushings and not slopping all over the place. You can do the above under the car with a volt ohm meter also.

Sometimes the switch is just sloppy and bad. Easy to replace.

Rob