• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 almost ready to fire

cool68

my CS is almost ready to fire up so excited

Attachments

• gtgt68 001.jpg
    gtgt68 001.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 38
  • gtgt68 004.jpg
    gtgt68 004.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 43
  • gtgt68 002.jpg
    gtgt68 002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 41
  • gtgt68 010.jpg
    gtgt68 010.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 35
  • gtgt68 007.jpg
    gtgt68 007.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 38
  • gtgt68 003.jpg
    gtgt68 003.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 38

Mosesatm

It looks to me like the #5 header pipe damaged. Is that just a weird reflection?

Attachments

• gtgt68%20007.jpg
    gtgt68%20007.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 50

robert campbell

Clearance "dent" for the header bolt!!! Or as I like to say when working on refrigerator doors and such "we formed the metal to factory specifications"...

Or as most people say. We bent it.....

somethingspecial

I've had to do that before on headers and have never had any problems. Although the dent LOOKS huge in the photo, it probably is not very restrictive. I never could figure out why the header manf. make such a tight bend at the bolt location. They must be like car engineers, obviously they have never worked on a car. SBC headers are worse, the sometimes interfere with the spark plug wire boots, burning off the boot and shorting out the wire. Thanks God for high heat insulator sleeves.

robert campbell

+1 to Mike. It looks larger than it really restricts. Nothing to worry about unless you are trying to achieve lots more horse power that a stock or mild motor.

Rob

whodat

I've had to do that before on headers and have never had any problems. Although the dent LOOKS huge in the photo, it probably is not very restrictive. I never could figure out why the header manf. make such a tight bend at the bolt location. They must be like car engineers, obviously they have never worked on a car. SBC headers are worse, the sometimes interfere with the spark plug wire boots, burning off the boot and shorting out the wire. Thanks God for high heat insulator sleeves.
This is why I hate headers. I had them on SBC and had to change the gaskets several times a year. Anybody know a good header manufacturer for a 289? What about the Hi-Po 289 factory headers?

franklinair

I am not a believer in the use of headers (unless you're running a highly modified, high horsepower engine) due to cost, maintenance, and lack of added performance benefit in a basically stock engine.
An engine is basically an air pump. It sucks, squeezes, burns, and blows. A stock 289/302 nominally draws in 500cfm thru the carburetor. (Larger carbs are of no value, as the valve chambers can only handle so much air.) Consequently larger exhaust pipes are of no significant benefit. Lower exhaust back pressure is of minimal benefit, if any. So, unless you're building a powerhouse engine (ala Rob):grin: the cost outweighs the benefits. Just MHO.

Neil

Mustanger

This is why I hate headers. I had them on SBC and had to change the gaskets several times a year. Anybody know a good header manufacturer for a 289? What about the Hi-Po 289 factory headers?

..If you're referring to the hi-po exhaust manifolds, those are great ... I have a set on my engine and they are cooler and more reliable like typical cast iron manifolds, yet they're designed for greater air flow :thumb: ... in fact, I think maybe Neal may have used these in the past with similar results ...

somethingspecial

This is a trick photo right? Even I missed the power steering ram. I see the frame bracket, but even the drag link is for a manual steering car. ????????? You screwing with me Rob?????? LOL

CougarCJ

Looks like the car had power steering in a previous life.

Is that a cable clutch I see too?

robert campbell

This is a trick photo right? Even I missed the power steering ram. I see the frame bracket, but even the drag link is for a manual steering car. ????????? You screwing with me Rob?????? LOL

Nothing gets by you guys!!! Yes it was a power steering car and at one time it went to a cable clutch (I still have it) and now it has a Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch!!!

Below is a side view of the ram bracket (yup, welded on). The angle is not perfect, but these headers do not require the bracket to lower the ram which increases the pressure on the frame rail as it provides more leverage. And with a big block (yup this car once had a 428 CJ motor in it) and big front tires, it blows the nutserts out of the frame rail and you get to weld the ram bracket on.... Ask me why I know this...

But also notice the collector position to the frame rail. These headers tuck up right under the car and with the ball/socket collector, your exhaust is nice and tucked up. And this is 3 inch exhaust!!!

Rob