• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 gauge question

BOSS3024ME

So I was sitting in the car pretending I was anywhere but here and started looking at the gauge cluster and I am a tad stumped the middle gauge at the top of the cluster says 20 40 60 80 like maybe oil pressure but I noticed it has an oil gauge a water gauge a amps gauge ect.

So what is the middle gauge in the cluster?

Sorry to ask stupid questions but looked in catalogs and on the net could not find it

Thanks all

OP
OP
B

BOSS3024ME

Gauge

I would agree but this car is so original and stock it is scary. It is a factory gauge of some sort.

OP
OP
B

BOSS3024ME

Gauge question

Just went out with a flashlight and yes it is a tach.

This car is all stock am radio and hubcaps and all.

Could it be factory?

Sure hard to believe someone put a tach in the dash in the cluster.

68sunlitgold

The middle gauge was used for the clock, the right large gauge was the tach. The aftermarket tach that fits the clock area looks almost original since they used the clock cluster as a mold.

Doug

68sunlitgold

Here is the retro tach with the box (can get 6K or 8K), found on ebay, orginals are quite expensive.

Doug

Attachments

• Retro gauge 1.jpg
    Retro gauge 1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 30
  • retro gauge 2.jpg
    retro gauge 2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

dalorzo_f

What year, are you talking about, a '68? If so the upper middle loaction was for a clock originally. There was a guy here in Australia who made a "mini tach" that fit the spot, there were 6k and 8k models. I have seen some folks use Jeep (and other) tachs that fit the space.

6k version of the mini-tach...

0706_mump_12_z%2bmustang_restomod_interior%2bmini_tach.jpg

Picture?

dalorzo_f

This is an original 68 deluxe interior cluster I picked up yesterday...

Interesting it has a C7 6k tach... not to open that can of worms again....

franklinair

I've installed several of the Retro mini tachs. made in Australia, retailed by NPD and others. No longer available. :sad: Too bad. They are a good, reliable addition for those that like to have a tach..

Neil

Powell

Wow that original clock seems to be very rare. It would be interesting to see Marti reports of how many CS's came with clocks.

dalorzo_f

Yep, found it here in Brisbane 20 mins from home. Expensive, but as an apparently unmolested original with clock figured I couldn't pass it up...

I'll let it be! :wink:

Interesting how well the vinyl applique fits, as the reporo are so far off as to be alomst unuseable...

dalorzo_f

Well... it is a '67 "tach" (C7ZF) in a '68 cluster. :wink:

It sure looks pretty unmolested and the guy I bought it from got it years ago for a '67 project and never used it, then sold the car... He picked it up as-is so could not provide any clarity about specifically what it came out of... but clearly its a deluxe '68.

68sunlitgold

The clocks can be found on ebay, but are getting harder to find. Most clocks have long given up working on their original 'internals' so you can buy quartz movements. I believe I saw somewhere where they are making repos??

You will not see clock on a Marti report, I believe it came with another option (deluxe interior).

Doug

sam

not sure if you could get the clock option on a California Special. I found one from a 68 Shelby and put it in because it looks far better than the original non clock/blank. Had it quartzed by an outft in Chicago, and it looks pretty good ( can't read it though ha ha ah ). Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.
Sam

sam

I put in a dash clock from a Shelby Mustang with looks better than a blank/non clock. Not sure if you could get one as an option on the 68 California Special. I had my clock quartzed so it works great.........trouble is I can't read it...................but the 2nd hand sweeps so I am happy.
Sam

stangfan

You will not see clock on a Marti report, I believe it came with another option (deluxe interior).

Doug

I know we are talking about 68 GT/CS cars here, but just for reference I owned a 67 Coupe a few years back. It had a factory clock in it but it was a fairly low-optioned car. It certainly didn't have the deluxe interior.