• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS Advice sought

phobos

Howdy California Special fans! I am new here, and hoping to find some advice. I have a GT/CS in the family that needs help, and ultimately probably a new home. It is located in far northern California (about 2000 miles from my home, which complicates things). I am near the car for a few days, and can take pics, look at parts, etc. It is in a dark, tight garage though, so not every angle is available. Its most recent reg sticker is from 2010, so it has been sitting a long while. The tires are rotted, split, and unsafe. It ran when it was parked, so I am hoping it is not too far from functional. However, it was not prepped for storage, so I don’t know what it could need for fluids, hoses, gas tank, etc. I guess right now I am trying to decide if it I should get it flatbed towed to a shop to try to get it running, or something else. I drove the care in the 80's, and after that my dad put a ton of money into it, then parked it. Where do y’all think I should I start, and what should I focus on if the plan is to eventually sell it? I have a lot of information about it but I am not sure which is the most important to share without filling up this thread and making it too long to read.
Thanks for any advice!
-Mike

franklinair

The VIN to start with. Any photos for visual help: exterior, interior, engine area.

Neil

stangfan

If it has been sitting unprepared for storage for 10 years, you will be looking at a minimum of draining the gas, and flushing the fuel system, replacing oil, filter and antifreeze and probably re-gasketing the engine.

Mosesatm

Flushing the brake system, replacing the wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Replacing the transmission fluid and filter. Replacing the hoses and belts, etc.
I think you’re better off hauling the car, or renting a trailer and towing it.

We definitely don’t mind too much information or too many photos.

robert campbell

Normally the cost to "revive" a car is not very bad. Much you can do yourself. A car that is running and driving is a lot easier to sell. The prospective buyer can at least get an idea of the mechanical condition.

A non-running car is a bit of a crap shoot and can reduce the sale price. All of this is based on the overall condition of the car. Especially rust issues.

Rob

OP
OP
P

phobos

Thanks for the great replies!
I shot some pictures (which I will try to link to link here). I have some rear pics too, but is it safe to show the license plates here? Stupidly, I forgot to open the hood. The body is in good shape. It lived in inland San Diego many years, and has mostly been garaged, so it has very little rust. It was in an accident which damaged the drivers rear quarter around 1990 (yep, I was driving) but it was minor, and was repaired.
I could do the basic work some here have suggested, but I would need to 1) transport it 2000 miles, and 2) rent a garage to store it/work on it.
Right now, my plan is to return to it in late May, when I _might_ be able to work on it without moving it.

OP
OP
P

phobos

And if you can't read the VIN, it looks like 8R01C1559. I did get a Marti report. Is it a good idea to post it here too? Thanks!

hatchdog

And if you can't read the VIN, it looks like 8R01C1559. I did get a Marti report. Is it a good idea to post it here too? Thanks!

Folks post Marti reports on here all the time. There shouldn’t be any sensitive info other than the VIN on it and you have already posted that. (Not a problem in my opinion)

Interesting your car has the overhead console but not the lower console. Are either listed on your Marti? They can be added later if not an original option from Ford.

Also deluxe interior, A/C, power brakes, dash clock. Nicely optioned car.

OP
OP
P

phobos

Hi hatchdog,
Yep. That is the original config. The seats were re-covered and the carpet and headliner done, but I _think_ the interior config is original. That is the setup I remember from the 80s anyway. ;-) I think I attached the Marti to this note. I it didn't make it, I will add it to the pics

Attachments

• 8R01C155966_stdrpt.pdf
    162.1 KB · Views: 71

robert campbell

The upper console is part of the deluxe interior or interior décor option. The lower console was an option in its own in 1968.

Rob

OP
OP
P

phobos

Not in Texas. It is near Eureka, CA, not quite 300 miles north of San Francisco.

J_Speegle

Not in Texas. It is near Eureka, CA, not quite 300 miles north of San Francisco.

Other side of the Redwood Curtain :)

As already suggested. Get it running is number one then if you choose make it a safe driver but you may choose not to go that far since that can be a slippery slope and a larger investment. Also any parts you take off in achieving what ever level of repair you choose keep as the next owner may need or want

Good luck with the car

robert campbell

Also any parts you take off in achieving what ever level of repair you choose keep as the next owner may need or want

Awesome advice!!! Back in the day, I threw and gave away so many parts!!!

Rob