• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

California Special convertible

rjw

I am at the Pensacola MCA show. Guess what drives in this afternoon? A California Special convertible! Apparently built from a 1967 convertible, it is a red convertible with a black top, but has all the appearances of a Cal Spec. It really looks pretty good, too, and was drawing quite a crowd. But hold on to your hats...it is in the Pony Corral for $45,000.00. I will try to get a picture tomorrow.
Richard

quicknick

That car has been around for quite a long time if it's the same one I am thinking of.
I seem to recall a dealer in Florida trying to sell it as authentic a few years ago. It was the subject of a long post on this site way back when. Some of the oldsters on here should remember.
Shoot us a pic. I am curious to see if it is the same car.

GT_CS

Yes Quicknick,

you're not the only one, i remember surfing the net a year or 2 ago and a dealer did have this car for sale, it was candy apple red with white decals if i recall correctly, and i think it had shelby wheels???? but i'm postive there is one of these fake GT/CS convertible around!

Regards
Fasar

Talan423

I REMEMBER SEING THAT CAR ABOUT 5 OR 6 YEARS AGO ONLINE . WE ALL PICKED IT APART PRETTY GOOD!! IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE DEALER HAD A HARD TIME SELLING IT. I THINK HE WANTED ABOUT 20K FOR IT, WHICH WAS OUTRAGEOUS BACK THEN. I'D LIKE TO SEE A PICTURE OF IT AGAIN. DID IT WIN ANYTHING?

TOM

OP
OP
rjw

rjw

Okay guys, I have pics but no card reader with me. I will post next week. Upon a closer look today, it is a current (2002?) Ford Red with white stripes. It does have the Shelby 10 spokes. It has a fiberglass hood with no hood pins and no fog lights. (And no running horse, either.) It has a chin spoiler. I'm not sure if it is the same car you guys mention in that he showed pictures of the car in the restoration process within the last 6 weeks (while it still had the 67 taillight panel.) It is a manual transmission and he came in from Georgia. I will post pics when I get back home.
Richard

mongoose

Acorrding to the publications of patrick covert in ultimate mustangs and randy leffingwell in mustang 40 years the california gt/cs was only available in the hardtop model

GT_CS

well at the moment its all speculation, but if it was recently replicated then it must be a newer one, hence it cannot be the one we're all conversing about, I very faintly remember the details of the one i saw, if i see pics i could possibly recognise it!

Talan i feel we're talking about the same car but not the same time scale? but yeah i think we took it apart quite well if it is that same one! well done!

Regards
Fasar

P

PNewitt

[quote author=mongoose link=board=1;threadid=1482;start=0#msg8723 date=1111331369]
Acorrding to the publications of patrick covert in ultimate mustangs and randy leffingwell in mustang 40 years the california gt/cs was only available in the hardtop model
[/quote]

GEE--and I wonder where they got THAT information????

....("if I had a nickle for every time.....")

Paul Newitt
Author, GT/CS Recognition Guide, 1988, 1996.