• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Opinions???

platnumheart666

Since we found out that my wife's GT/CS doesn't have the original motor and has $10K of frame damage after we paid $17K plus $12K in front-end, brakes and wheels and tires.
Would it be best to cut our losses and go for something like this?

Opinions?

1968 Mustang

Mustang . Extremely reliable, great running and driving Mustang. Completely rebuilt suspension front and rear, rebuilt original C6 transmission, re-cored stock radiator, rebuilt 2V carburetor, fresh custom-built exhaust, new tires, all new brakes from the master cylinder to the 4-wheel drums, etc. Limited options--AM radio (works great) and head rests. Marti report verifies it's a true CS/GT and is one of only a few 390-2V X-codes built. Tired old paint hides nothing--very rust-free and solid, unmolested Texas Mustang. Original interior in good condition (stored indoors and driven very little for 25 years); rebuilt heater box and fresh heater core. Downsizing my collection.

Price - $ 26,500 OBO

Attachments

• 68ford78953-1.jpg
    68ford78953-1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 68ford78953-2.jpg
    68ford78953-2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 68ford78953-3.jpg
    68ford78953-3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 68ford78953-4.jpg
    68ford78953-4.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 65
  • california special Marti report.pdf
    52.6 KB · Views: 47

GregL

Sounds/looks quite reasonable to me especially when you see people asking close to the same $$$ for small block cars.
Best,
Greg

Don

Have you driven a 390 mustang before? If not you will want to drive it before you decide. The 390 has lots of power but being nose heavy it may not suit your idea of a fun ride. The 390 is a fun straight line car but most prefer a 302 for sporty and comfort driving.

1968Kanada

I actually spoke to the owner about this car the other day, they are very nice people I must say. Although its a 390 car, I would prefer a 4V one. Interstingly enough, all 390 2V's were automatics, no 4 speeds were made. Sorry to hear of your troubles with your wifes car.

Mosesatm

Since it's a unibody car odds are that all GT/CSs have what could be considered frame damage after 47 years. Does your car have serious frame damage or just 47 years worth of bending and tweaking?
Most frame sagging and twisting can be fixed by a frame tech with a few hours on a rack.

OP
OP
platnumheart666

platnumheart666

Have you driven a 390 mustang before? If not you will want to drive it before you decide. The 390 has lots of power but being nose heavy it may not suit your idea of a fun ride. The 390 is a fun straight line car but most prefer a 302 for sporty and comfort driving.

Your right - I have a 1968 Torino Fastback 390.
Maybe I should just fix the frame and find a nice crate 351 stroked to 427 - that should ease the pain of it all :smile:

OP
OP
platnumheart666

platnumheart666

Since it's a unibody car odds are that all GT/CSs have what could be considered frame damage after 47 years. Does your car have serious frame damage or just 47 years worth of bending and tweaking?
Most frame sagging and twisting can be fixed by a frame tech with a few hours on a rack.

apparently it was hit pretty hard and there is evidence of the original passenger quarter under the new one and the rail was over-stretched. The shop says, basically, they have to cut off the rear end and possibly replace both quarters. I was advised to just put in a 4-link suspension and not look back, but would like to fix the rails then upgrade.

Unfortunately, I bought the GT/CS to save the money of buying my wife's dream car ($32K 1966 Nova SS) already restored and now I am in deeper!

This time, I am asking for advice before I make anymore decisions.

Don

apparently it was hit pretty hard and there is evidence of the original passenger quarter under the new one and the rail was over-stretched.

Ouch :cry: Way tough call on what to do but at the very least see if you can get it to another frame shop, or two, to make sure it can't be made right for 5K or so. I really don't understand how one could "overstretch" before the frame/metal grip jaws would either slip or rip through the metal before actually stretching it (unless, perhaps, a lot of heat was applied).

If the chassis is truly toast then you may just have a donor car on your hands :undecided

robert campbell

I would love to have this car up on my lift. As Arlie said they are old unibody cars and have there stresses and strains. Is this body shop a trusted straight shooter or are they trying to get a big dollar job??

Measurements could be taken from a known car to compare critical points to your car. Stretched??? These measurements would tell the story.

Rob

Ruppstang

I have restored a lot of Mustangs and as said above they all have their own problems. I agree you should get several estimate's and possibly have some on from here have a look at it. Sadly there are a lot of shops that will just take your money.
Best of luck go slowly with you decision.
Marty

Mosesatm

If the car is safe to drive, and the frame issue doesn't create any immediate problems, I'd drive the car as it is.

mbsf1970

+1 Arlie.

I would drive as is unless imminent danger is in play. Better the Devil you know.

I'd also take a road trip to see Rob. Second opinions from a trusted member can save you a lot of $$ and regrets. Ask me, I know.

Stephen

BigJim

You know what you have with your current car and you know what it's going to take to finish it. If you get another car you're going all the way back to the starting point of not knowing hat you're getting and what it's going to take.

OP
OP
platnumheart666

platnumheart666

I would love to have this car up on my lift. As Arlie said they are old unibody cars and have there stresses and strains. Is this body shop a trusted straight shooter or are they trying to get a big dollar job??

Measurements could be taken from a known car to compare critical points to your car. Stretched??? These measurements would tell the story.

Rob

The shop is Gearhead out of Roseville, A very respected shop. I will get a couple more opinions before I do make a decision.

Does anyone know any worthy shops in the Sacramento area?

OP
OP
platnumheart666

platnumheart666

If the car is safe to drive, and the frame issue doesn't create any immediate problems, I'd drive the car as it is.

We were told that it is unsafe to drive and that one pothole could cause the whole rear end to collapse!

We kind of felt conned, since they did $12K worth of work, then said they discovered the issue. Gearhead is advising a 4 link suspension ($7K for entire rear end) and forget about the rail etc. until whenever. But they said that they will be welding some things and that later the weld would need to be removed, but no big issue.

It just seems like we are getting deep $$$ wise and we are not sure if we just go ahead or give-up.

She has an awesome paint job and if a 4 link would solve for now, maybe that is the way to go.

We would eventually like to do a full restoration.

IDK