• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 repairing rear quarter panel on 1968 gt/cs

Willy 1

Hi
I am doing a repair to the lower rear right hand quarter panel and having a tough time finding a lower patch that fits properly. Has anyone done this repair and if so where did they find this part that fits correctly. the one I bought must have been built on a late Friday afternoon,not even close to the original.
Thanks

robert campbell

I did a right rear quarter panel replacement on GT/CS in around 1990. I also replaced the trunk extension panel that it attaches to. Replaced the full quarter panel on the left side and also its trunk extension panel.

The lower quarter panel replacement piece is not perfect. I got mine from Virginia Mustang. I flanged the bottom of the existing quarter panel after the lower part was cut off. This provided a lap joint about 3/4 of an inch wide to "spot weld" the existing quarter to the new lower piece which reduce the warpage that would happen with a butt joint. It takes a bit of time and patience, but mine turned out just fine.

Rob