• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 There might be an elusive 68 GT/CS "S" code somewhere in Victoria?

GT/CS S Code

Well, I just bought a spare set of GT/CS tail light pots on eBay from a nearby seller up in Port McNeil (on the north end of Vancouver Island). In our email conversations he mentioned that he had owned a 68 GT/CS "S" code 390 four speed car too, but he had just sold it this past April. He said that he thought the car might now be located somewhere here in Victoria! I haven't heard about it or seen it yet, but I will keep my ear to the ground and see if I can contact the new owner and see what his (or her) plans are for this car ...
My eBay parts seller also sent me these two photos of the car from when he originally picked it up. He had discovered it parked in a carport, as the motor had been blown back in the mid 70's and the car had been sitting there ever since. He was hoping to restore it himself, but he needed some money and so he sold it last April. From the pictures you can see that when he picked it up it was missing it's GT/CS side and trunk stripes, but had a set of GT styled wheels and a GT rear valence with the cutouts for the quad exhaust tips. It has an interesting paint graphic that someone added to the rear roof pillar too. It was also missing it's proper grill and fog lamps too. The person he bought it from said that this car was originally purchased new up in Nanaimo (mid Vancouver Island), so it's likely another "B7" DSO code too, which would be the same as our car.
I find it quite interesting that there could be another relatively scarce "S" code four speed GT/CS "lurking around" somewhere nearby .... and I can't help but wonder when it might surface?
Hmmm ..... I'll keep you posted if I can find out more information.
GT/CS S Code
:wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0031 resized.jpg
    IMG_0031 resized.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0032 resized.jpg
    IMG_0032 resized.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 108

Timmknz

Or a clone?

Incorrect grille- CS Script too high on the rear quarter? Hmmm, always something to watch for....

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Hi Tim,
Yeah, I noticed the high placement of the script on the rear quarter too, but didn't get a chance to email this fellow back and ask more questions yet. He also said that he has a photo of this car with the original owner when it was bought new, so I'll ask him for a copy of that picture when he finds it. He said that the car was originally green by the way, so it might have had the script moved during a re-paint or repairs? Maybe that is when the grill and fogs were changed too?
Questions .... always more questions ....
:rolleyes:
I'll email the gent up island again in the next few days and see if there are any answers?
Cheers,
Al

speedy02

When was the picture taken? If it was taken when the person came and picked up the car you have the trailer lic plate in the pic.

aemoo28

Plan. I'll bomb up there with my newly running '68 and together we'll form a GT/CS posse and bring this S code out of hiding. I figure exposure is everything. If I personally see another CS parked anywhere, I'll go park my '08 CS beside it for a minute for the effect. Always better to travel in packs.

Mustanglvr

Plan. I'll bomb up there with my newly running '68 and together we'll form a GT/CS posse and bring this S code out of hiding. I figure exposure is everything. If I personally see another CS parked anywhere, I'll go park my '08 CS beside it for a minute for the effect. Always better to travel in packs.

No not packs, it would be herds right? Mustangs go in herds. :smile: lol

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

An update ...

Well, with a little bit more research it appears that this elusive "S" code GT/CS is indeed "hiding out" in Victoria! The gent up in Port McNeil did sell it last April to someone down here, and talking to my local Mustang parts supplier I mentioned the car and he said, "... sure that's the guy out in Central Saanich ...". The new owner is apparently planning to restore the car, but it is a bit rough and will need extensive bodywork and some rust removal. He's not planning to begin right away as he's waiting for the Canadian dollar to rise a bit before ordering many needed replacement parts. My Mustang parts guy is going to contact him and set up an opportunity for me to go out and meet him and see the car. If possible (weather permitting) I'll take our "S" code out so that he can look it over and make comparisons between the two cars. It'll be interesting to see where the VIN number falls compared to ours too, and I'll find out if he has had a Marti report done on it yet.
I will keep you all posted, and hopefully I'll get some current photos to post on this thread in the near future. Of course I'll also encourage the new owner to join this forum for support (and sympathy?).
:grin:

somethingspecial

I spoke with the old seller about this car some years ago. The VIN is 156XXX. I don't remember the last three but it was between 156529 and 156904. It was scheduled for build April 15, 68. I held on to the pics for some time and I believe he sent me a Marti report as well, but I checked all my files and unfortunately I purged them. I did send the info to Paul Newitt for the registry before I purged the info. I do remember it is an S code with factory four speed. 3.25:1 standard 9 in. rear. 120mph/8k tach, non air standard interior. Don't remember what color it was inside and out. Hope this help some. Mike

calspcl

April 15th is the build date for my S code with 72 DSO also. I belive Dons S code on the east coast (now with the 428) with has a 72 DSO also and is an April 15th build date. Seams like they built a truck load of 390 cars and shipped them north.