• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Who makes the best door panels?

stangfan

The door panels on my car aren't the best. The silver foil is peeling, but otherwise they don't look too bad. If I decide to replace them, whose are the best? TMI? I put a pair on a car years ago, and they were terrible. The panels were really flimsy and did not seem anywhere near the quality of the originals. I have been putting this job off as I really dislike those clips that Ford used to hold them on.

dalorzo_f

I've used NPD's on all 4 cars. Not sure who's they are, but to me they compare pretty well to the fit, finish and materials of OEM.

As for the clips, I pre-"clip" them (flex 'em a few times) to ensure the paint/coating isn't sticking the sides together, ensure they are straight and square, and then when installing just be sure the tips are square in the hole and a soft bump with the heel of the palm... rarely a problem...

franklinair

2 choices that I know of: Distinctive or TMI. I have no preference. They both worked OK for me. Richard's techniques work well.

Neil

Attachments

• 008 (6).jpg
    008 (6).jpg
    110 KB · Views: 32
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 32

robert campbell

On another note, I have been around 3 different 68 deluxe door panels in the last year. This includes my GNS which are new.

The wood look panels are wrinkly. Heat does no seem to change them. A the to diss manufacturers in public, so if you want the name PM me.

Rob

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Thanks guys. Love the installation tips. My interior is standard dark red. I think this may be my next project. :grin:

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Looking at the Scott Drake and NPD catalogs, I can see that the door handle and window crank holes are already made in the door panels. I cannot however, see the holes for the arm rest pads. Are those holes already made in the TMI and Distinctive Industries panels?

Thanks again.

Ruppstang

Standard panel - standard arm rest. Deluxe panel - deluxe arm rest. I believe that the same hard board is used for both.
Marty