• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Lower Console Help

robert campbell

All,
Working on the 1968 Fastback which has a lower console in it. Heater core was leaking so I rebuilt the box and but in a new Mustangs Plus heater kit.

So.... to remove the heater I decided to take the lower console out which appears to be an add on to this car. When I started to gently pull it out after the top cover and radio removal two large (2 x 2 and 3 x 3) chunks of brittle console way up forward on the driver side fell off. Thought I had broke it, but nope, previously glued.... The top and dash pad are pretty nice, the base is not so nice. It is an aqua colored one.

So... I am thinking about a basic repair. With glue and a backing strip to help? I suppose I could just glue the two edges together, but it seems so cheesy.

Has anyone performed a similar repair and if so what did you do?

Rob

dalorzo_f

Thin fine fiberglass mat. JB/epoxy will not work well and eventually let go again, based on my experience.

If it is inside the lighted box sanding and reapplication of flocking will effectively hide the repair to all but the most intense inspection...

68sunlitgold

Rob,
I used a wood burning rod on mine, I will let see what you think from the pics.

Doug

Attachments

• fixed console 3.jpg
    fixed console 3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 49
  • fixed console 4.jpg
    fixed console 4.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 49
  • fixed_console_1.jpg
    fixed_console_1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 51
  • fixed_console_1a.jpg
    fixed_console_1a.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 40
  • fixed console 5.jpg
    fixed console 5.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 39

rvrtrash

Kind of like a soldering iron. You use it for burning designs in wood.

Steve

68sunlitgold

Neil,
What Steve said, I used it since it does not get as hot as a soldering iron and I only wanted to 'slightly' heat the plastic to melt it.

Doug

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

took a wood rasp to the back side of each piece and roughed up a 1 inch area on both sides of the broken area. and I do mean roughed it up!! Carefully taped the good side of the cracked off edge to hold it together and then blocked it up so all pieces were lined up and held in an original position.

JB Weld. Seems to be holding just fine!

Rob