• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Looking for a good parts source

calspecialchic

I am currently restoring my mustang. I am looking online for parts and come across a wide realm of prices. I am learning the difference in the economy versus show quality parts but even for those can have a wide difference in pricing among the websites. I am looking for nice quality parts that will last and look good years from now. I have dealt with Mustang Plus when I restored my interior. There parts were nice and they are on the high end of pricing. I also dealt with Mustang Unlimited but actually have not put any of those parts on. They are on the cheaper end. But then I have found sights cheaper than that and in between. Does any one have any advice on a good company to go with.
My car will not be a concourse numbers matching car but it will be on the higher end when I am through. So I want to do it right.
Thanks

Perkchiro

I used several parts sources when I restored my car. The bulk of my parts came from National Parts Depot, Tony Branda, Dallas Mustang and Missouri Mustang. I wouldn't use Virginia Classic Mustang because I had several cheap parts from them that wouldn't fit or were poorly made, and they wouldn't stand behind them with a refund or return.

CALIF GIRL

In the forum section Restoration reference is a thread called places I have used for nos parts. It lists many good places.

@Holmes

Chic,

I would perfer not to bash anyone. But when your in the middle of a teardown and rebuild nothing really matters - not food, work nada. The last thing you want is parts that are not delivered on time or second wrong parts. When your trying to complete in a specific amount of time, the last thing you want to do is wait on hold to complain about parts to be told that you have to pack and ship it back - your buck and time - and in some cases face a restocking fee. Then only to be told that the part is on back order. Oh thats another one. They take your order and money and when the shipment is received half filed, then they tell you its on back order. As an example I ordered what I thought were 68 smog tubes for a 302. What I got was a single smog tube for a 67 289 and huge bill.

All of the above acts were committed by one parts supplyer. They got me for over $600.00 in wrong or defective parts they shipped. Not wanting to mention any names N but these guys are P something D else. So watch out!

If there are specific parts that you are looking for, ask here first before you buy from some supply house.

Mosesatm

My new favorite is Mustangs Plus. David seems to be the the best guy to talk to.

Even though John's is local I'll use them only if I need something fast and don't mind that it might be cheap quality.

6t8-390gt

I usually use NPD or Virginia Classic Mustang and have never had a problem with either. Sure every once in a while a part is back ordered, but I usually ask if everything is in stock when I order. For my fasteners I use AMK and order directly from them. Big Block stuff I use Mansfield Mustang. NOS, I use whoever might have the part I am looking for.

RedGTvert

Chic,

I would perfer not to bash anyone. But when your in the middle of a teardown and rebuild nothing really matters - not food, work nada. The last thing you want is parts that are not delivered on time or second wrong parts. When your trying to complete in a specific amount of time, the last thing you want to do is wait on hold to complain about parts to be told that you have to pack and ship it back - your buck and time - and in some cases face a restocking fee. Then only to be told that the part is on back order. Oh thats another one. They take your order and money and when the shipment is received half filed, then they tell you its on back order. As an example I ordered what I thought were 68 smog tubes for a 302. What I got was a single smog tube for a 67 289 and huge bill.

All of the above acts were committed by one parts supplyer. They got me for over $600.00 in wrong or defective parts they shipped. Not wanting to mention any names N but these guys are P something D else. So watch out!

If there are specific parts that you are looking for, ask here first before you buy from some supply house.

Sounds strange. I have purchased over $20K worth of parts form NPD over the past three years, and have only had one issue where the computer was wrong on inventory, and they immediately shipped out from another location next day air on their dime.

This is not to say they are infallible, but they are much better than any supplier I have used over the years, and I have used many.

As for being taken for $600 worth of wrong or defective parts, I know from my experience, they have taken every part back, every time, even if it was my fault for ordering the wrong part without any question or restocking fee.

franklinair

I have used NPD, Virginia Mustang, Mustangs Unlimited. Never had a problem.
Neil Hoppe

Doug

Sounds strange. I have purchased over $20K worth of parts form NPD over the past three years, and have only had one issue where the computer was wrong on inventory, and they immediately shipped out from another location next day air on their dime.

This is not to say they are infallible, but they are much better than any supplier I have used over the years, and I have used many.

As for being taken for $600 worth of wrong or defective parts, I know from my experience, they have taken every part back, every time, even if it was my fault for ordering the wrong part without any question or restocking fee.

I have and a very close friend have purchased many many $$ worth of parts from NPD for our 65-66-and 68 Mustangs and have never have had any problems; even if I gave a wrong part number.

PFSlim

We bought almost every part for our GT/CS during the restoration. Other than buying my interior stuff, doors and fenders local, I bought everything from Mustangs Unlimited, Virginia Mustang, Tony Branda, and NPD. I shopped for the best price and what I liked best. Some parts I had to return or could not use but I think that is part of the process. Not everything is going to fit or look the way you want when you order from a mag or on-line.

I had no problem at all with any of the suppliers.

Paul

BroadwayBlue

I've purchased mostly from NPD and Mustangs Unlimited.

I've purchased less from Tony Branda, Mustang Plus and Virginia as well.

I've had no problems with Mustangs Unlimited (fast shipping! pretty much next day or 2nd day worse case since I'm 1 state away) or with NPD (Returned a number of items due me changing my mind and they took it back no questions asked).