• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Firewall & Dash Replacement

dbomber

Hi all! I'm new here as I recently purchased a 68 CS project and it looked like the place to be when having the privledge of owning one of these classics. I've had a stang or two (69 Conv. & 64-1/2 coupe) in the past but never a CS so I'm pretty psyched! :smile:

Much of the sheetmetal work has been done on the car already but after a thorough review I've decided both the firewall and dash need to be replaced due to rust. Although I've tackled floor pans and qtr panels in the past I've not done the dash or firewall. With that, I'm posting this thread in hopes of finding someone that has and would be willing to offer some advise to make the job go as smooth as possible.

Thanks in advance and for a really cool forum & website!
Dave

franklinair

Welcome. Lots of info & help here.
Firewall & dash? Does this also include the cowl vent area?

Neil Hoppe

robert campbell

I have done core supports, battery panels, floor pans, quarter panels, trunk floors/lower extensions, and wheel houses. Floor pans can extend up into the firewall, but my guess is with Neil, is you need the cowls and the upper areas?

Mu suggestion is a complete doner area from a decent car. Then attack the spot welds just like they were put together. I have done this very successfully in my career. I have never attempted what you are doing!! I did cut off the driver side windshield post at the dash level and up into a quarter of the roof on a 67 coupe. I went very well. Again, a doner factory piece. Lots of support and measurements, but not on a frame rack.

Not sure if I have ever seen a repop of the panels you want to replace.

Or you piece weld the bad areas.... Got any pics of the car? Too bad as I just got wind of a 68 car cut up that had great pieces in the areas you describe.

Rob