• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS project on E bay

Connie

I Sold This

Hey All -

Well I should have seen that coming. I sold the car to this guy less then 3 weeks ago for $6,000 after he originally offered me $7,000 then talked me down to 6 because he knew it would need SO MUCH WORK it wasn't worth more then 5.

Bummer O'well.

i will update on the forum discussion.

Connie

subinkracing

Looks like someone else will get the chance to own it. I emailed him my concerns about several issues that Connie brought up. He was upset and said that the forum sabotaged a good deal. He sent me pics to show the area's that I was concerned about but canceled the order on eBay. I imagine that it will go back up for sale again here in the near future. I'm a little disappointed because I was looking forward to owning it but everything happens for a reason. I just wanted clarification on certain things.

I offered 9k for it seeing that I was going to do all the work
myself.

franklinair

I would have 'guestimated' $15K to $20K to resurrect this CS to the level I like. My max offer would have been $7K. But that's just me.

Neil

subinkracing

I originally offered $7,500 but pushed myself to the limit because I wanted one. This is baaedd on me doing all the mechanical and paint, etc.

It just didn't work out the way I wanted. Wish I would habe seen it on here sooner.

68gulfstream

What would you ballpark the cost of fitting a new engine at? Almost wonder if it would be worth finding a cheap old engine and rebuilding that and dropping it in.

robert campbell

An original J code motor can be tough to find. A "date correct" block could be found, but in the grand scheme of things any well built 289 or 302would be ok.

A known runner 302 could be cleaned up and installed for less that $1,500 or even around $1,000 bucks. The automatic is a wild card as to its condition and/or setting unused for a long time. Figure another $1,000 to rebuild it.

It would take an in person inspection to discern the paint on it. My gut thinks that it may be able to be cleaned up and look ok.

This car is a very nicely optioned GT/CS and would be a great project to do a "running" restoration on. Bite off a little as you can and enjoy it as you go. Find a J code in the future. Interior needs work, but you can do it as you go.

I agree with Neil. A nice value at $7k but at the edge at $9 to 10k. But who knows what the market will bear! Easy to get under water in these cars in a hurry.

Rob

68gulfstream

Good points Rob. The Marti says it's a GT (I didn't realize that) and it has those sweet headrests.

I think it would be a great candidate for a minimal / practical approach. If you could get a decent motor in it for under $2000, then just do the minimum required to make it usable. Buff the paint, put in some carpet, new tires & wheels, brakes and transmission. If the transmission is toast, might as well put a manual in there.

Then over time you could attend to the little details to the level that you want. Would be a lot of fun for a cheap price. Probably a great entry level car for someone starting off who can do the mechanical work DIY style.

Not every car has to be perfectly restored to tip top shape :)

robert campbell

Good points Rob. The Marti says it's a GT (I didn't realize that) and it has those sweet headrests.

I think it would be a great candidate for a minimal / practical approach. If you could get a decent motor in it for under $2000, then just do the minimum required to make it usable. Buff the paint, put in some carpet, new tires & wheels, brakes and transmission. If the transmission is toast, might as well put a manual in there.

Then over time you could attend to the little details to the level that you want. Would be a lot of fun for a cheap price. Probably a great entry level car for someone starting off who can do the mechanical work DIY style.

Not every car has to be perfectly restored to tip top shape :)

+! I agree!!

rvrtrash

If I wasn't going to restore it to "correct" I'd drop in a later model roller cam motor, just to avoid the cam wipe issue and pick up a couple of free ponies. I'd build a fuel injection harness and get the easy start benefit as well. Drop in a 5 speed or AOD and you'd have a nice driver.

Steve

(and yes, a Vortech supercharger just might find a home under the hood somewhere)

subinkracing

Sad part is that I had everything to do exactly what everyone is discussing. A roller 302 with gt40 heads, f-cam, etc. A c4 with 2600 stall and reverse valvebody.....even have a procharger p1sc set up. I'm a foxbody guy and a little bit of a hoarder so there is a small swap meet worth of go fast parts laying around.
Who knows what the future holds.....I will have one eventually. FRANK