• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Aqua J-Code with only 30,000 miles?

Mosesatm

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 67

Tequila

nice car. On one of the pictures there is a sticker that says "Registry Member One of 4025". Are these stickers still available? If so where could I get one? Thanks.

robert campbell

To anyone interested in this car and especially due to the statement on its mileage I submit the following I could discern from the pictures that support the mileage:

1. Tie rod inner and outers do not have zerc fittings. More than likely original equipment.

2. Rear quarter window moldings in the door jam appear worn and original.

3. Rear leaf springs look original and are showing the slight sag of the original set as they age.

4. Engine compartment looks nearly like a time capsule. It does not look like it has been spruced up, just kept clean. The shock tower sticker looks very old and the power steering pump is wearing the original blue paint.

5. A brake pedal pad used to be a good indication of miles. Its brake pedal pad looks original and does not show tons of wear.

If I was to view this car in person, I would look at the driver door hinges. A 30k miles they should be original and not to worn. The upper an lower ball joints should be riveted to the upper and lower control arms. Side window weather strip should be factory Ford items.

This looks like the real deal to me. What a beautiful car and other than a re-paint and some upholstery it is almost a total time capsule.

What a nice car and it should command high end dollars. After a thorough look from an expert, but the pictures look totally honest of the miles on the speedo. I would love to look at the shocks and for heavens sake, those lower grills show zero marks from careless seat belt removal!!! Must have been replaced when the seats were done, or the owners were the most careful I have ever seen!!!

NICE CAR!!

Rob

p51

I'm curious about the steering wheel. I looks like a '69.... did they make that style steering wheel in '68?

mbsf1970

I think the car looks super but I do have a few questions....
Is the turn indicator oem?
are the elbow rest on doors supposed to be aqua or is black appropriate?
why do you suppose that on such a "time capsule" that the steering wheel would be changed? preference?
Stephen

robert campbell

I would say that the steering wheel is a 69. The engine compartment has chrome fan and other upgrades, such as the valve covers. All are easy changes back and do not detract from the low mileage IMO.

This Mustang should be inspected thoroughly, but it appears to be what the seller says it is. Some bolt on upgrades (or changes) should not subtract from a low mileage car.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I don't know, Rob. There are a lot of things about this car that make me wonder. If it is a 30,000 mile car whoever painted/restored it made some questionable choices. For some of the novices in the audience:

- The lower grill panels have overspray on the chrome, and it looks black.
- The fog light posts speak for themselves.
- The carpet on the driver's side was cut way too short
- Wrong radio and knobs
- Wrong armrests as mentioned by Stephen
- Black window knobs in the front and green in the back
- Wrong rivets on the scoop screens, with aqua behind the screens
- Side stripes incorrectly installed on the scoops
- Flat black paint on the underside
- Wrong steering wheel
- Painted trunk floor
- New tail light bezels
- Missing shoulder belt springs, in fact I don't see any shoulder belts

Those are a lot of small items and I'm not sure what they mean. It could just be 50 years of typical owner upkeep. I'd certainly like to see the paperwork that proves it's a 30K mile car. This would be a fun one to inspect!!

robert campbell

I agree that the paint and interior restoration could have been better, but it kinda is an example of someone who has limited knowledge of concourse restorations. The steering wheel must have been a personal preference thing IMO.

I agree on thorough investigation if one is paying top dollar for the mileage reading. I would love to inspect the driver door hinge for replacement hinges or pins and bushings. If re-bushed, it is probably 130k.

Been a while since I have seen factory inner and outer tie rod ends. The upper and lower ball joints would also be a great clue.

The title pictures show some with mileage some without. One might even do a hard target search on prior owners to garner more info.

Rob

mbsf1970

here's a question....
After almost 50 yrs, does mileage really factor largely into price....if so, why?
would you pay more for a well restored car or an original low mileage car with same options but work to do on it due to original parts?
Stephen

stangfan

It depends on the individual obviously. My car had just under 51,000 miles on it when I purchased it. It is solid with no rattles or squeaks. I've owned a few higher mileage Mustang in the past and I really prefer this one.

J_Speegle

here's a question....
After almost 50 yrs, does mileage really factor largely into price....if so, why?
would you pay more for a well restored car or an original low mileage car with same options but work to do on it due to original parts?
Stephen

In my experience it depends on the car and somewhat the buyer

For a car that has been changed the amount of mileage plays little into the formula of what the car is worth IMHO. Condition of the body and amount of originally often is not related to the amount of mileage on a car that is not an original/unrestored type of car

At the same time sellers will try and make the best out of any thing that can be seen as positive

Don

here's a question....
Stephen

A low mileage original almost always trumps a rotisserie restored example for price but it really depends on what the buyer wants the car for. Low mileage originals are cherished since they are only that way once but can be rotisserie restored countless times.

Your question is a bit loaded because it really can cover a broad range of conditions. How much "work to do on it" is really the decider on restore or not.:wink: