• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tail Light Covers

franklinair

Just got a set of the cardboard tail light covers for the trunk. Bob Teets told me the secret to form the curvature without creasing them (Moisten lightly and put in a slight bend/curve, increasing the bend slightly in steps).

The bottom length of each piece is scored, indicating (to me) that it would be bent to accommodate the trunk floor. Is this correct? Are the pieces secured in any manner to hold them in place?

Neil (novice) Hoppe:icon_pani

Perkchiro

They should tuck under the clips at the top (look for them). Look for something round (like a metal garbage can) to form them. Wouldn't moistening them risk staining? Good luck!

green56

tail light covers

can you take a picture of them installed to see how they look

Northern Pony

Neil;
Bob Teets sent me some instructions for bending these in a jig he made up. It worked great for me, nice curvature and no wrinkles. Get Bob to send you his instructions. Sorry, but my instructions seem to have gotten lost after in got the inserts installed.
The score at the bottom bends at the trunck floor and into the trunk, and there are " clips" in the top end of the trunck where the square cut out goes.
Wetting does not stain.
Hi to Peggy.
BoB

mmarsalone

Here are couple pictures of mine. I just tucked the top in first, then slowly worked the bottom in. Yes, and folding at the crease.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0023 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0023 (Small).JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0024 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0024 (Small).JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 40

GTCSMustang

1968 Shelby and 1968 GT/CS and 1968 HCS cars used the same trunk protectors. Original ones were painted a gray color on the side that faces the inside of the trunk. Here's a link to one of my Shelbys showing original ones installed. They do not go under the tabs that are used to hold the tail light harness in place. The panels shown installed above are correctly installed.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/albums/album_image/5235457/1548913.htm

Scott

rvrtrash

Going from memory, when I put the bow in mine, I placed them between two 2x4's spaced apart, lightly sprayed both sides of the covers with water, and put a couple of loose 14" wheels standing upright on top (each a little in from the ends). The 2x4's should be placed so the wheel/cover touches the floor in the center, and the boards on the sides. I left them like that for a couple of days and the curve seemed perfect and the covers didn't stain.

Steve

Mosesatm

1968 Shelby and 1968 GT/CS and 1968 HCS cars used the same trunk protectors. Original ones were painted a gray color on the side that faces the inside of the trunk. Here's a link to one of my Shelbys showing original ones installed. They do not go under the tabs that are used to hold the tail light harness in place. The panels shown installed above are correctly installed.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/albums/album_image/5235457/1548913.htm

Scott

Scott,
In the photo in the link you provided it looks like the spare tire hits the tail light cover. Is that the case or was the damaged cover just an oops?

Attachments

• t_Trunk.jpg
    t_Trunk.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 22

GTCSMustang

The biggest wheel you could get on a regular Mustang in 68 was 14-inch. They should fit better than the one in the picture because it's a Shelby and Shelbys used 15x6 wheels.

But you are right, my protector has been damaged by the spare tire.

Scott

limelyt

I started bending with a large garbage can working to smaller diameter items until we got the right bend, but I like the sparying water idea.

Gary

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Gary- Nope.
I've installed the tail light covers. Came out great. No clearance problem with the 14" spare tire. I even tried the 15" Shelby wheel - about 1/2" clearance, but the spare tire holddown hardware for a standard wheel won't work with the Shelby wheel.

Neil

PS:
I'm up late tonight. Got a Citation jet with a flat tire. This is after we fixed a door mechanism problem on an Avanti turbo prop A/C. A long day!!