• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Summer trip planning

mbsf1970

Ok. So here's the deal:

I'm planning a road trip in the Cali from the 4-14th of Aug. with my 11 yr old son. We're thinking of driving from Calgary to west coast and then south along Pacific Coast Highway until SanFran and maybe even further south to get to Universal Studios theme park...

Any members along the way? Any suggestions for "not to miss" attractions/beaches etc?? Suggestions for maintaining car while on big trip? Fluids to keep eye on etc??

Has anyone ever returned their car to original dealership for a visit? Mine is from McCoy Ford in Anaheim....you think the dealership would be into a photo op in exchange for oil change? Tia for all replies.

Stephen

RU_SPCL2

There are probably too many attractions to list, but some of the California highlights along the way to SF would include the giant redwoods and sequoias in Humboldt County, Mendocino, the wine country in Sonoma and Napa, Point Reyes and of course driving over the Golden Gate Bridge. South of SF, the PCH is spectacular with recommended stops at the Santa Cruz beach boardwalk, Monterey and the 17 Mile Drive at Pebble Beach (check the calendar to see if your trip will align with the famed Pebble Beach Concours and other major league car events). The Big Sur coast from Carmel to San Simeon is arguably the most scenic coastal highway in America and among the world's most scenic. However, it is desolate with services few and far between, so reliability is a must. Cell phones don't work in many areas. Also keep in mind that gasoline octane here is pathetically low (91 premium), so if your car is tuned for higher octane, be wary of pinging and bring a timing light in case you need to dial the advance down a bit.

stangfan

If you are thinking about hitting the original dealership where your car was sold new, why don't you find them on the internet via Google, and then shoot them an email. Give them your car Vin# and description, and ask if you could drop by. If nothing else, you could get a picture of the car in front of the original dealership for your own file. They may just sweeten the pot in some way. :grin:

Mosesatm

Tools needed.

Attachments

• Automotive Repair Flow Chart.jpg
    Automotive Repair Flow Chart.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 51

TraveledGTCS

Depending on the route you plan, the Pierce County Mustang Club in Tacoma, WA, has their Show & Shine on the 10th of August. Non judged, Participants Choice and the local club does not vote. Then Labor Day weekend is the International Mustang Meet hosted this year by the Greater Vancouver Mustang Association.

In 2008 I made a trip down to California for the 40th anniversary of the GT/CS and was going to stop by the dealership where I purched mine - Hayward Ford - but they had closed about six months prior and all that was left was the sign and a fenced off area.

If you do come down through the Seattle/Tacoma area, give me a call and we can meet and compare Specials. And if you need a place to stay for a night, I have room. Just me and my dog, a bit out in the sticks but it's quite.

Send me a PM and I will give you more info.

hcsstang

I hope to hit the Blue Ridge Park Way from Va to Tenn. The last time that I was on was 54 years ago. The honey moon.

franklinair

Blue Ridge Parkway: When you get to the Balsam Gap exit, you're about 20 miles from me.

Neil

dalorzo_f

Monterey and the aquarium on the bay are a nice stop. While Cannery Row has gone way tourist, still a beautiful place on the bay. The Asilomar coastline is a nice stretch to drive and stop and check out the coastline too..

While Big Sur is remote, in the summer the road is packed so its not like crossing inner Nevada or Utah on a secondary road.

Not sure of schedule but Laguna Seca raceway is near, if there is something on and you are into races something to consider.

San Simeon and Hearst Castle are a sight to see, on the long stretch of Highway 1 from Big Sur to Morro Bay (which is a nice little seaside community, or was when I lived there long ago).

Drove Monterey to Big Sur and back three times a week for a few years, in another life, a beautiful stretch of road.

clubpro

Since you are bringing your 11 year old you have to stop at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and ride one of the oldest wooden roller coasters in the world. The Boardwalk has been there since 1907. As mentioned you need to drive from Santa Cruz to Monterey and visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. You won't be disappointed with both of these sites.

Cheers,

Ron

Mosesatm

If you're traveling at 70mph or so you'll be running over 2600rpm (depending on your gearing and tire size) so for the first few fuel stops you may want to check the oil to see how much you're using.

Believe it or not I take all of the following on my trips:
- Gallon of 50/50 antifreeze
- Quart of oil
- Quart of ATF
- Tool kit in a carrying case. There are hundreds of them to choose from. Kobalt has some good selections. Attached is a photo of the set I purchased years ago at Sears. It's been well used.
- a 1/2" breaker-bar or torque wrench with a lug nut socket, and if you have locking lug nuts don't forget the key!
- Tire gauge
- Fan belt
- Duct tape
- Gloves
- an old sheet or something else to lay upon
- Fire extinguisher
- Jumper cables
- Fix-a-flat
- Spark plug
- Spark plug socket
- Fake coil wire
- Fuel filter
- Paper towels
- Glass cleaner
- Microfiber towels
- Instant wax
- Wire ties
- Radiator hose
- Window handle with knob installed
- Vice grips
- Big screwdriver
- Scissors
- Jack
- Wood block for the jack
- Funnel
- Flash light
- Fuses and fuse box diagram
- Bottle of drinking water to wash hands
- Utility knife
- Mike's Registry business cards
- Information cards
- Spare tire

I found a great tool bag years ago that holds almost everything on the list. It even has special pockets for the antifreeze and oil. I place it in the trunk first, against the back seat.
This one may work.http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2273080&cp=2568443.2568450.2628082.1259491
Here's one with a Ford logo.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/FMC-300227/Ford-Logo-Canvas-Trunk-Organizer

Here is the took kit mentioned above.

Attachments

• Tool Kit.jpg
    Tool Kit.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Ruppstang

I carry most of your list but I am not nearly as organized. I am impressed. I carry a extra set of points or Pertronix module depending on what you are running.
First it is frustrating to be on the road side, but much more frustrating not having that one thing you need. Having this stuff will save you time and money.
Marty