• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Edelbrock carb question

Edward Bodoh

For the carb savvy here as i know there are a few...recently I had a Performer series 14063 carb installed on my CS. Carb is great, but i failed to notice the throttle rod was improperly installed until it popped off on the bell-crank side. Luckily it popped as i was starting in driveway and not on the road. So i ordered a new rod with a mounting kit (via Scott Drake). It installs correctly on the bell-crank side, but it seems as though i need some sort of adapter on the carb linkage side where the rod would normally attach.

I referenced my Edelbrock catalog...and it does list an automatic trans. rod extension kit for ford. Is this what i need or do i need to go cable altogether instead of rod? I will be calling Edelbrock with this but also wanted to see if anyone has ideas. I remember others chiming in on pros and cons regarding this carb when i inquired about it here back then...hopefully someone else reads this...that has this carb on their ride as well.

Thanks in advance.
Ivy rED.

robert campbell

Ed,
A pic would be helpful. I assume you have an automatic in you car. The kit for the auto transmission is for Ford Applications that have a rod connect directly to the carb for the kick down function for the automatic. In the case of your car the kick down function is handled by a bracket of the throttle pedal "Z" bar pointing straight down just above the back end of your left side exhaust manifold. A small cable is clipped on the end and heads back to the kick down lever on the auto.

You do not need this kit. There are many ways to hook up the throttle rod to the carb. If you got this done and are happy you should be good to go.

Rob

OP
OP
E

Edward Bodoh

Carb pic

Hopefully the pics attach. The first one is with link that won't work. The second is how I attached it by flipping the rod so as to attach on both sides with rubber bushing inside holes. Both sides meaning on the carb side and bell crank side. Bell crank side is held by cotter pin so I'm not worried there. It's the rubber bushing in pic 2 where the rod is attached through it using the white plastic clip. Never seen a clip like this before. It was on the crank side when I bought the car. But I could use more if it's recognizable to you Rob. In case this one breaks. Are they normal stock at stang shops?

This way I was able to connect it seems to be OK as I gave it good motion on the highway. And it seemed to hold. So like you say Rob I think I'm happy with it. Will monitor it. Your post made me rethink it a little more. I was sure you would be the first to respond. As you are the resident carb guru....lol.

Thanks Rob. Ivy rED.

Attachments

• 20160428_110929.jpg
    20160428_110929.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20160428_113942.jpg
    20160428_113942.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 48

robert campbell

Some people will drill a tiny hole in the throttle rod to use a cotter key. If you hit it gently with a hammer you can flat spot the end and then center punch and drill it. Not easy to drill, but can be done. Then you can use the small hole, a washer, and a cotter pin..

I would suspect the plastic clip would be an Edelbrock item only.

Rob

OP
OP
E

Edward Bodoh

Rob. I thought about drilling a hole too. But not tappinng a flat spot. Great idea thanks. If the plastic clip doesn't hold down the road I will go that route. Thanks for sharing your ideas. It helped a lot.

Ed. :cheesy:

franklinair

Sorry to be late (stomach virus this week) :-(
Here's a couple photos of how I connected the accelerator rod to my Edelbrock carb-as Rob described using the small hole on the carb fitting, drilled hole in the rod with a washer & cotter pin.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 44